• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans cooler v4.0/Bumper mod v2.0/Duratracs v1.0

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Although ive never had an overheating problem,I have pushed temps pretty hard over the years.It got worse a couple years ago when I purchased a Pop-up trailer to take wheeling(3000# worth).Anyway, heres my progression after 9yrs and 45K miles.....
1-stock- ok
2-about a year later I added a OEM aux cooler- better
3-about a year later I switched the OEM aux cooler with a plate cooler mounted directly in front of the a/c coil(no air gap) and in the middle(hoping to get a little air pulling from both fans)- engine and trans temps ok except when towing extreme inclines
4-last weeks mods to try to split up the heat load a little

The pics will say the most,but I cut a hole in the crossmember and moved the cooler down so half sees air from the fan and half gets ram air.Along with that I blocked all other holes in the crossmember and added 18 1-1/2" holes in the bumper.Theres also about a 1.5" air gap between the cooler and the ac coil.
Temps went down 5* and hold regardless of towing/climbing conditions!I my try to add a rubber strip to seal my bumper to the crossmember.

Just had to say my first trip out with the new tires was awsome,it rained all weeked while wheeling!

Bumper from 8yrs ago
012_12A.JPG

All the mods before my run
P1040477.jpg

P1040481.jpg

P1040483.jpg

Are you planning to reroute the tranny cooling lines so they don't go through the radiator? I have found on mine that the tranny fluid reheats the coolant before it leaves the radiator which makes the engine run hotter when on steep grades at low speeds.

Are you planning to reroute the tranny cooling lines so they don't go through the radiator? I have found on mine that the tranny fluid reheats the coolant before it leaves the radiator which makes the engine run hotter when on steep grades at low speeds.
Not yet! Im still using all the factory "plug-n-play" fittings and didnt want to cut into it if not needed!

That's an awesome bumper.
Thanks! Its been thru hell but its held up awsome.I can jack the whole side of the XJ up by the "returns" alone.That being said we found an 12" hairline crack while drilling the holes(easy fix)!

Back