• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To those who have swapped from a peugeot to an AX-15, need help

rav

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys;
Looks like my peugeot is finally on its way to the graveyard, it served me well for the 230K that i have used it for. I bought an AX-15 from a 96 cherokee with 23,000 miles, i wanted to know what else do i need to complete the swap, i know i need a 23 spline input TC which i have from a 92 cherokee, is there anything more. I would really appreciate any tips or suggestions. Also would i need to buy a computer for the AX-15, i am not sure that my Old peugeot ever had one.

Thanks;
Ravi

You will need the plate that bolts to the bottom of the ax-15 and a new islator/bushing to go to the cross member. I'm in the middle of my swap right now. no cpu, and a different back up light connection but that no biggie. Oh and as far as I can tell the tcase shift linkage is different also. Good Luck

Oh man, forget the ax-15, go for the nv3550....I didn't even read the post you wrote. But I drove a new wrangler with a nv3550, and compared to my ax-15, it's a F'in dream.

gearwhine said:
Oh man, forget the ax-15, go for the nv3550....I didn't even read the post you wrote. But I drove a new wrangler with a nv3550, and compared to my ax-15, it's a F'in dream.

But i just bought this tranny for 350$ :(

Ravi

The 96 is an external slave cylinder, right? You'll need to buy master/slave combo. Comes prefilled from the dealer. Bolted right in place in my 90.
Fred

Fred said:
The 96 is an external slave cylinder, right? You'll need to buy master/slave combo. Comes prefilled from the dealer. Bolted right in place in my 90.
Fred

Thanks for your reply, do you remember how much $$$ for those.

Thanks;
Ravi

The new slave/master combo is $200+-

As mentioned before- no computer in a manual tranny:)

If you find you need the shift linkage let me know, I have one left over from my D300 swap that you can have cheap.

Johann said:
The new slave/master combo is $200+-

As mentioned before- no computer in a manual tranny:)

If you find you need the shift linkage let me know, I have one left over from my D300 swap that you can have cheap.

Hey, thanks for your reply, how much do you want for it, if yopu let it go for cheap, i might just buy and keep it in case i need it, on my pugeot it still has the first 4 gears running, so right now i am just collecting info and the parts that i need.

Thanks;
Ravi

The crossmember will bolt to different holes in the frame, and you may need to install nutserts in those holes if they're not in there already. I avoided this by modifying the Peugeot trans mount to work with the AX15 (welding and fabbing). Also, be sure to check the length of the 23 spline t-case input shaft that you have. It needs to be from an AX15 equiped case, not an automatic. If I remember it right, the AW4 uses a long input shaft and the AX15 a short input shaft.

Goatman said:
The crossmember will bolt to different holes in the frame, and you may need to install nutserts in those holes if they're not in there already. I avoided this by modifying the Peugeot trans mount to work with the AX15 (welding and fabbing). Also, be sure to check the length of the 23 spline t-case input shaft that you have. It needs to be from an AX15 equiped case, not an automatic. If I remember it right, the AW4 uses a long input shaft and the AX15 a short input shaft.

This is really getting complicated, thanks for your reply, if i remember the TC is from a AW4, since its long i should be able to cut it right?

The t-case linkage is the same but the linkage bracket on the tranny is different. You will also need a pilot bushing from a '73 CJ with the V-8 and 3-speed tranny, I got mine at Auto Zone, cost me $3.00. If your new tranny came with the slave, have a line fabbed to fit your old master and "new" slave, I did, cost me $30. instead of $200. You can just splice the reverse switch wires unless you want a super clean conversion. You may want to replace the old CPS since in attaches to the bell housing. The CPS is the same for the Peugot, AX-15 and AW-4, so if yours is new you can reuse it. I've heard that you should'nt reuse old flywheel bolts, although I did with no ill effects thus far.
Any further q's???

forgiven said:
The t-case linkage is the same but the linkage bracket on the tranny is different. You will also need a pilot bushing from a '73 CJ with the V-8 and 3-speed tranny, I got mine at Auto Zone, cost me $3.00. If your new tranny came with the slave, have a line fabbed to fit your old master and "new" slave, I did, cost me $30. instead of $200. You can just splice the reverse switch wires unless you want a super clean conversion. You may want to replace the old CPS since in attaches to the bell housing. The CPS is the same for the Peugot, AX-15 and AW-4, so if yours is new you can reuse it. I've heard that you should'nt reuse old flywheel bolts, although I did with no ill effects thus far.
Any further q's???

Hey thanks a lot for your reply, one last question, can i reuse my peugeot crossmember(with the AX-15 Tanny mount of course)

I believe you can, not sure because I fabbed a new crossmember from 1/2"x6" bar stock. You'll also be happy to know that the mount for the AX-15 is MUCH less expensive the one for the Peugot.
Hey if you've got the extra cash, find a 23 spline t-case with some mods so you don't have to swap inputs. When I swapped my TJ AX-15 I waited 'til I found a TJ 231 to match spline count. I ended up paying $600.00 for the t-case WITH a 4to1 and AA SYE already installed.

forgiven said:
I believe you can, not sure because I fabbed a new crossmember from 1/2"x6" bar stock. You'll also be happy to know that the mount for the AX-15 is MUCH less expensive the one for the Peugot.
Hey if you've got the extra cash, find a 23 spline t-case with some mods so you don't have to swap inputs. When I swapped my TJ AX-15 I waited 'til I found a TJ 231 to match spline count. I ended up paying $600.00 for the t-case WITH a 4to1 and AA SYE already installed.

Hey thanks a lot for your reply, i really appreciate it. I already have a 23 spline input TC from a 92 cherokee, i am glad i can use the peugeot crossmember, now i need to find an external slave cylinder.

Thanks;
Ravi

Back