• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why do I have this Jeep?

Gold Cobra

NAXJA Forum User
Today is really the last day of summer and I had planned a wheeling trip with a friend of mine. Well that didn't work out, his heater core blew last night. So I'm at home pouting. The summer is over and I didn't go wheeling a single time. As a matter of fact, this Jeep has been wheeling in 4 years, back when it was all stock. I work weekends and have Mondays and Tuesdays off so finding someone to go wheeling with is hard to do. Plus I live very far away from any place to go wheeling. Lastly, my wife is pregnant so I figure in a few months it will only get harder to try and go. I don't even get a chance to drive it on the road since I have a company rig. All this has led me to wonder, why do I have this Jeep, why am I constantly working on it when there is nothing wrong with it, why am I trying to make it "better on the trail" when it will never see one? Maybe I should ditch it and get a new project, a Wagoneer, or another XJ/MJ and keep it stock, maybe a TJ. What should I do?

DSC_2698.jpg

Looks nice. If you don't need the money, hang onto it and just park it. Come back to it when you can tear into a few things and maintain it. You'll be back out soon enough and taking the kid. ;)

Edited your photo for ya.

642568439_bfbDo-O.jpg

Hey man, i've been in your shoes. kid on the way.. financially its a toy that you rarely play with..

but as ecksjay said, its a great hobby to get your kid involved with. i kept mine, i camped/wheeled about 10 times between april/july broke it 3 times in july and now its parked.. I dont have the finances to put 10k into it right now. so i dont get trips to Moab in may, but the kids love it, Its a great way to keep an outdoor lifestyle going for them.

Its just not worth getting rid of one.. and yes, your days off suck. but alot of us have those same days off! (i for one.. have every day off right now) you should be able to find someone to go wheelin with on a monday if you plan it out. hell wanna go wheelin next monday.. shi' i'll ride shotty.. haha lets hit up TSF..

sad thing is im right there with him, minus the kid on the way. I was planing on finally go to tsf today with him and now I am stuck with the whole jeep torn apart trying to figure out how to put everything back together after my heater core replacement. god hates me. summer is over and now I have to focus on paying off my debt so I can go back to college. I might as well go to the prius forum and start posting.

sad thing is im right there with him, minus the kid on the way. I was planing on finally go to tsf today with him and now I am stuck with the whole jeep torn apart trying to figure out how to put everything back together after my heater core replacement. god hates me. summer is over and now I have to focus on paying off my debt so I can go back to college. I might as well go to the prius forum and start posting.
You guys bitch alot. suck it up, The best time to wheel is in the winter. fix your junk and lets make some plans for a snow run:guitar:

For many of us keeping an XJ or MJ is not the most viably sound financial decision. But I suspect that even if you don't get to use it the way you intend/vision useing it, it probably serves other purposes also.

One of the reasons that I "switched" to my XJ was to help "afford" to keep wheeling. I try to use mine once a month, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. Either way, I love the experiences, the places it takes me, and I don't want to give it up.

Also, Summer is NOT over and wheeling in the Winter is also my favorite season.

Trying to find time to do much of anything with a little one on the way can be difficult, but time flies and you will get to use it again.

Congratulations and good luck.
That is one really nice MJ!!

Michael

You guys do know you can wheel in the winter time, right?

Also, if you want to go wheeling post up. I often times have a couple week days off, and would be up for a quick TSF trip.

I pretty much only wheel in the winter because of summer construction job. I love snow and soupy mud much more that dry stuff, but thats just me. Clean up Is kind of a pain in the ass thats why i go on a mud run, then the next day i will try to plan a snow trip,theirs nothing better for getting your underbody spit shined.LoL

Today is really the last day of summer and I had planned a wheeling trip with a friend of mine. Well that didn't work out, his heater core blew last night. So I'm at home pouting. The summer is over and I didn't go wheeling a single time. As a matter of fact, this Jeep has been wheeling in 4 years, back when it was all stock. I work weekends and have Mondays and Tuesdays off so finding someone to go wheeling with is hard to do. Plus I live very far away from any place to go wheeling. Lastly, my wife is pregnant so I figure in a few months it will only get harder to try and go. I don't even get a chance to drive it on the road since I have a company rig. All this has led me to wonder, why do I have this Jeep, why am I constantly working on it when there is nothing wrong with it, why am I trying to make it "better on the trail" when it will never see one? Maybe I should ditch it and get a new project, a Wagoneer, or another XJ/MJ and keep it stock, maybe a TJ. What should I do?

Not nice to make fun of others like that.

No worries, there are a few of us in the same situation. I was trying to trade off the XJ to get something fun to play with. Wife and Son said NO. She didn't want me complaining later about not haveing a Jeep to play with.

Moral of my whining? Unless you need the cash, just keep it. You will lose money if you get something else.

First of all, Darren, I hate you. At least your jeep is wheelable. mine is prob at least a year out.

BTW How was your tsf trip this weekend.

Man I fell for you I have been working on my 88xj for 2 years and finally have it ready to go . I have not even off road with it yet keep it this is a great rig and when you have the kid you can all go minus the wife just kiddin

Love your comanchee. Looks really nice. I've always wanted one. If I were you I would pick up a stock XJ for a grand or so and moth ball that one till you have more time. Just my 2c worth.

You first posted this Q on the CC site and now you posted the same Q on this site and everyone is saying the same thing. KEEP IT. So, now i suspect you'll be getting rid of it...?

All my bitching paid off. I found someone to go wheeling with on a Tuesday. We went down to TSF for the day. Had a great time. Can't wait to go again.

109_0040.jpg

So, now i suspect you'll be getting rid of it...?

Actually, I think I'll keep it.

I think about selling or parting out my rig every once in a while. But then I get to take it out and wheel and I remember why I keep it.

Back