• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

are 35's over 33's woth it

I run 33/13.5/15 LTB and wouldnt change a thing.I run with the guys with 35" tires and have never had a problem going anywhere they do.But if you can find a set cheaper then the 33" go for it.When I bought my 33" tires I payed just over 700 mounted and then just the other day he got a set of 38/14.5/15 LTB brand new tires in and he was going to sell them to me for 650.Find what you want and buy them.

yeah i have never had a problem with my 33's but man 35's do look good i just dont want to fork out the extra if theres no trail diffrence thanks

Holy crap, how many threads do you have to make on this topic? 2 threads asking 33s or 35s and now this one? Oh yeah, and the how big can I go thread, asking the same question.

Nominated

Last edited:
I had 33s and got 35s when they wore out because i got some RE boomarang shackles and spacers and made my 33s look too small. Just before i got the tires i went to moab and ran hells revenge and poision spider on bald 33s. So i think 33s do just fine, 35s do a bit better. :)

Bald 33s

IMG_1641.jpg

New 35s

l_687fd3db4e2a4597b24da39717b3e6ae.jpg

Sorry i don't have one of it just at ride hight on the net anywhere and don't have my external hardrive on me to get one off of. If i could i'd actually go about 0.5"-1" lower and keep the 35's but oh well. She gets me from A to B. pretty much anywhere "B" is. ;)

There will be a difference on the trail, but that depends on what you are doing(trails, rocks, mud) and what you have done/willing to do(axles, gearing, lockers, lift size).

I have 33's and locker F/R with D30 & D44 and I have done everything I have attempted. If I went to 35's on mine it would mainly before for looks/awesome factor, cause I don't think that I would accomplish alot more then I can already handle. If I go up anymore I am going to 37's.

Holy crap, how many threads do you have to make on this topic? 2 threads asking 33s or 35s and now this one? Oh yeah, and the how big can I go thread, asking the same question.

Nominated
:thumbup:

yeah i have never had a problem with my 33's but man 35's do look good i just dont want to fork out the extra if theres no trail diffrence thanks

If you would search and then read you might save yourself getting flamed!! By the way EVERY inch counts!!

^every little bit does help. if i had 33s, i wouldn't sell them and loose money just to have 35s today. its not that much of an advantage.

but with many stucks ive seen in any situation, be it trials, rocks, mud, etc, just 1 more inch of diff clearance would have been all the difference.

There are other factors that will determine how well you do on the trail. Gearing, lockers, armor, driver skill as well as spotters can make a much bigger difference than going up one tire size.

There are other factors that will determine how well you do on the trail. Gearing, lockers, armor, driver skill as well as spotters can make a much bigger difference than going up one tire size.

Yes, all true BUT the tire IS what gives you your ground clearance!! On the trail everything comes together BUT ground clearance is very important and improves aproach and departure angles!! :doh:

Unless you plan to regear I would stick with 33's, it could be a dog on 35's with too high a gear ratio. If you are running at least 4:10 you could probably live with 35's but 4:56 or 4:88 would be much better for 35's.

^ This... You are asking the wrong question, going up in tire size is not just about the tires. Can the rest of your rig support them?

What axles/gear ratios are you running?
Do you have upgraded steering components?
What condition are your brakes in?
What kind of terrain do you normally wheel in?

35's beat the crap out of your rig comared to 33's. If you have the right parts to handle the 35's do it. Every bit helps. And 33's are a very common size and sometime cost just as much if not more than the 35's. But other mods are better spent than tire size. And be careful some 35's are only true height maybe 3/4" taller than 33's

Have you gotten hung up on one of your axles where an extra inch would have made a difference before now? If not, then 35s aren't likely to make any difference to you. If you don't want to spend the money, then don't. Chances are, if you're rig is built properly, and doing well on 33s, you won't need any more tire, unless it's an ego thing.

By the way, if it IS an ego thing, bigger is better, but smaller can be used to pummel the competing egos. Took my DD to a place called Martina's canyon a while back. Everybody who saw it asked me how I got it back there. My response: look at them like they're crazy(especially the guy with the Rubicon on 33s:eek:)and say, "I drove it." My DD is on 30s with no lift:D

So just remember, the proper response is:
...,EVERY inch counts!!
...,every little bit does help,...
:laugh::rof::laugh: :looser: :conceited

But you have to agree if you were in that Rubi on 33's it woulda been a hell of a lot easier. None of us on here can answer knowing how well the OP can or can't drive. All answers are in a basic general response. Are 35's worth it? Generally yes. Depending on a million other variables. Just cuz I have taken a stock jeep up eagle rock trail doesn't mean I can't have more fun with harder lines locked on 35's. Just depends on what you wanna do and how you wanna do it. Perception is reality and each driver/setup is completely dependant on the mentality of the driver

33's are a very common size and sometime cost just as much if not more than the 35's.

When i was lookin into new tires the 33" KM2 was somethin like 20 bucks more than 35". per tire.

I agree every inch counts, just make sure the rest of the rig is or will be built to work with those 35" tires (gearing, axle strength, etc.). One year while running upper ajax in Florence, there was a deep water hole right before the dry waterfall. We had 10+ XJs there, all on 33's or 35's. All the rigs on 35's made it without the winch. All the 33's tried, but ended up having to pull the winch line. Sometimes that little extra bit helps.

I'd love to have 35's for the look and the clearance (lots of big, sharp rocks on the east coast), but I just don't have the money to build my axles to handle them. The only time I've been denied on a trail was when my diffs bottomed out on a rutted out hill climb, so of course 35's would have helped. But as much as I push my 32's on relatively stock axles (gears, rear locker), I would have broken so many things with bigger tires.

Goin 33's soon hopefully.

i think it depends on more of the kind of wheeling you do. do you find yourself needing 35's?
pro's: bigger tires mean go over stuff easier.
cons: heavier and bigger tires mean more likely to brake ? maybe.
you also dont have to gun it as much.
lose a little bit of flex. not that much though.
if you have the money and already carry spares go for it.

Back