• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A bad day wheelin is better than a good day at work...

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
But sometimes when you wheel you have to work!

Our local club had access to 2k acres of private property yesterday to do some wheelin on. We immediately got off to a bad start, One of the Sammys that was going with us lost a water pump at the trail head so we parked him and loaded he and his wife up shotgun and started into the trail.A mile into the trail my Heep just died, I had fuel pressure, all of the fuses where good, I disconnected the CPS and reconnected it several times and nothing. Finally after pulling all of the relays and checking them we heard something "click" and she started on the next try? Don't know what that was but anyway!

One of the local members knew of a Sammy that was flipped and abandoned on one of the trails, the trails name is "The Gorge of Eternal Peril". There are several rigs at the bottom that have never made it out but that normally doesn't stop us. Since we had a Polaris Ranger with us we decided to take it down in there to get the waterpump off of the abandoned Sammy. While hauling tools back out of the trail and 2 successful full throttle wheelstanding runs out of there in the Ranger, on the 3rd trip it happened, the drive belt to the CVT snapped! We tried using the Rangers winch but it quicly blew its motor so we brought a XJ with a Ramsey 8500# winch on it down to the last step and pulled the Ranger up over the step softball sized rock lined washout, we pulled the Ranger 150' that time. We tried to strap the Ranger out with the XJ but with the leaves, loose rock and steepness of the trail the XJ stalled and spun out. We winched 90' at a time to get the XJ in range of the other 2 TJ's that had daisey chained themselves over the trails edge. The first TJ was strapped off to a tree and we spooled him out to the last row of cable and then the hooked him to the second TJ who we had to spool him out to the last 2 wraps, about 120'. The stuck XJ, which was locked front and rear and on 35's had to spool his winch to meet the one from the TJ. After 3 hours of winching the Polaris was out! I'm never going down that trail again, its almost impossible to walk up or down and it is impossible to get a rig back up it on its own much less pulling something else behind it!

Its a long story but there is a good lesson behind all of this; Always go prepared, go early enough in the day that if you have a issue you will have time to fix it and if your gut says don't go down that trail...DON"T GO DOWN IT!!!!

I don't have many pics but I will post them soon

holy crap man sounds like a hella rough day!

now make with the pics!

:D

Last edited:
Did you get the water pump?

Did you get the water pump?

Yep, the abandoned Sammy is almost complete, the only thing missing is the T-case. We were able to get the water pump on the members Sammy and then drive it out. Its a easy job doing a water pump on one of those little buggers.

See, it was a successful mission!

Taking 3 hours of a day, risking life and limb, tearing up a Polaris.........to get a free water pump, priceless!

At least you learned why it's called "The Gorge of Eternal Peril". Ha!

well, i had a rough day also.....i sat on a dove field shooting birds all day!!

Kidding......glad everythign turned out ok....kinda
Sounds like everyone was safe though....good trip after all

Some pics:

The broken Polaris
PottsMayJune01711.jpg

Some members clearing some of the bigger rocks out of the way before we begin the pull. As you can see the trail is riddled with small loose rock and is deep since its a gully.
PottsMayJune01710.jpg

We didn't have too many pics of the actual recovery since most of us were busy manning winches and watching the cable. Here is the end of the recovery, the first pic is the middle TJ and the second pic is the TJ Rubicon that is strapped off to a tree.
PIC_3528.jpg

PIC_3523.jpg

Loading the busted Ranger;
PIC_3569.jpg

PIC_3570.jpg

We did have some fun wheelin, This is Michelle at the wheel
PIC_3543.jpg

This is the XJ that recovered the Ranger, he is towing the Ranger to a members house that is close by to load it.
PottsMayJune0176.jpg

PIC_3549.jpg

Me climbing out of the trail

PIC_3546.jpg

That reminds me of the Flog last year on trail 39 at Windrock....alot of winching and carnage that ended very late into the night-or early the next morning.

Glad everyone made it out okay.

Wow. That sounds like alot of work happened. Glad everyone made it out though.

Well it was a rough day all the way around for local wheelers. The other local club that I'm a member of went on a Potts Mountain run and had carnage. They ended up leaving the 4Runner overnight and did the recovery yesterday. They had to ratchet strap the axle back into place and use come-a-longs to hold it, then drag the runner the 5 miles out of the trail before they could get it to a trailer. They posted up and said it took them 6 hours. Apparently the lift blocks cracked in half during flex on a obstacle then the U-bolts of course failed, the axle shifted and took out the drive shaft. It appears that the center pins snapped as well since the spring pack is shifted.

SNC00041-1.jpg

That reminds me of the Flog last year on trail 39 at Windrock....alot of winching and carnage that ended very late into the night-or early the next morning.

Glad everyone made it out okay.

I was thinking the same thing!!! that was one heck of a night...
ended up leaving my Willys, just like they left the 4runner.

they call that blue stuff a belt??? :roflmao:

...glad you guys had a safe trip!

Apparently the lift blocks cracked in half during flex on a obstacle then the U-bolts of course failed, the axle shifted and took out the drive shaft. It appears that the center pins snapped as well since the spring pack is shifted.

That's why most people don't like to run them. That really suxs too. Looks like a great place to ride.

A bad day wheelin is better than a good day at work...

Hmmm....Back in the day I have gotten laid at work a few times. Never while wheelin. So it depends on your perspective I guess.

getting action while wheelin is one of the BEST things ever.

my Wife LOVES my XJ ;)

yeah, it is the good stuff. i like zippin 2 sleepin bags together in the back of the ol' jeep and campin out when it's below freezing. it necesitates shnugglin, which often leads to bonin. scha-wing.

My wife has never even ridden in my trail rig, I guess after 20 years of marriage the bedroom is good enough now.:thumbup:

She only rides in and drives Wranglers, so what does that say about Wranglers:eyes:

Back