• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Random cyl missfire???

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
My dads jeep has been hesitating and bogging down and recently stalled. Auto Zone said RCM and to do plugs & wires......Ithink thats wrong. CPS maybe?

First, never listen to the retards at AutoZone. I don't even buy their cheap a$$ parts. What is an RCM ?

Are you up to date on your preventative maintenance ? Tuned up, TB and IAC cleaned, fuel injector cleaner twice a year, battery wires clean and tight ?

A bad CPS would of course, cause the engine to not start or not run at all.

What have you tested or replaced so far ?

RCM - random cyl missfire. Battery is new. 120,000 miles on original fuel pump. Was tuned 1-2 years ago... ran great till the other day? 4.0 aw4 231
I dont listen to vato zone...thats why i'm here lol!

Cylinder misfires can be something or can be nothing at all, like some bad gas. At the minimum I would change the plugs (every 2 years or 30,000 miles) and use a can of injector cleaner. Until you have repeated or constant misfire problems I wouldn't be to worried.

Pull the spark plugs and take a look at them. Should be whitish tan and all look the same. Keep them organized so that you know which cylinder they came out of. Then get back at us with your findings.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Ethanol!?!?

1. The alcohol is loosening up and letting all of the accumulated crap of the last 10+ loose throughout the fuel system.

2. Do a little internet research on driveability problems with ethanol and the reformulated fuels.

3. Try and locate some fuel system cleaner that is compatible with ethanol fuels and run it through your system, or better yet use some Seafoam in the fuel tank.

Pull the spark plugs and take a look at them. Should be whitish tan and all look the same. Keep them organized so that you know which cylinder they came out of. Then get back at us with your findings.

Well, I drove out to take a look and the distributor bolt was literally finger loose!!! I tightened it and took it for a spin and she ran fine... However, the check engine light remained on. I cycled the key several times to no avail.

Try this:

Disconnect negative and positive battery cables.

Rub ends of cables together for about 15-20 seconds.

Reconnect cables.

Back