• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just bought a new (to me) xj, few questions

CBB311

NAXJA Forum User
after selling my beat to hell 89 xj with a blown head gasket and more dents than i can count, i bought a 91 xj out of georgia from the original owner, rust free in pretty good condition, tried searching and couldnt find anything specific on the few questions ive got about it.

1. it came originally equipped with keyless entry but the PO lost the fob, is there any way to reprogram a new fob to work without going with a whole new aftermarket system?

2. the steering column feels like something needs to be tightened because the steering wheel moves freely up and down as if it had tilt wheel without the handle, has anyone had this happen?

3. what year did they do away with the closed cooling system? the new rig has an open system and i have to say that was a huge relief when i popped the hood for the first time.

thanks in advance
corey

The keyless entry on that vintage uses the infrared not radio frequency, so you basically have to hold the fob next to the glass and point at the orb. Jeep no longer sells the fobs. If you really really want one, look in junkyards for jeeps that have the orb and keys in the ignition, grab them both, and install the jy board in your overhead console. Or you can just buy an aftermarket receiver for $50 from ebay that will do more and work from across the parking lot.

Dunno how to fix the steering thing but it's a common problem and I was just looking at a writeup yesterday. Google for it here and you'll find it

Cooling system was changed in 1991

Back