• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jeep Won't start

flyingbrick

NAXJA Forum User
Buddy just picked up a stock 95 sport with the 4.0 and ax-15 200k on the ticker and he was letting it out a little and he put in the clutch and it died on him. So it hasn't started since, unplugged the CPS and no change. Tomorrow gonna try and clean off the contact on it and see if that helps. Being a Renix guy thats all i would check for, shoud there be anything different i should check for? i would love the help and this would be a great welcome for him to NAXJA, thanks a ton guys

Joe

cranks and cranks but won't turn over
are the reverse lights actually a sign of something?
and another oddity is that the clutch does not need to be depressed to crank the motor, any thoughts?
Joe

not so sure that cleaning the cps will do anything. also unplugging it might not be it either...have you checked the continuity on the sensor itself? Do you have spark? do you hear the fuel pump come on when the ignition is turned to accessory?

are you sure it has gas? its happened to every one of us before...or will eventually. check for spark, air, and fuel, thats all it needs to start with proper timing. if there are bad sensor it will just run like crap

Here's a problem that I was able to figure out on my 95 that would have the same problem,, a ton of cranking but no spark. I had figured out that the hot lead from my alternator that bolts to the alternator and then connects up towards and in between the battery and fuse box, well that connection point was severly corroded. It also connects to the AC/Coil/Oil sending unit/ and the main hot lead back into the main harness. I did disconnect and clean it, but the corrosion was all the way through the wire. The dealer wanted $197 for the whole harness (yes its one piece tied in together) But give that a wigggle while you attempt to start it. Or at least give it a looksy after the CPS has been eliminated. Easy tests, check for fuel pressure and or spark after you figure out which is the problem, your problem solving can be used in the right direction. Let me know how it goes????

went to go check out the camshaft positioning sensor and saw the rotor of the dist was in 3 pieces, the little solder that holds the contact to the plastic piece had blown, so after a cap and rotor change, everything runs and starts as normal

Glad to hear you got 'er going. Sounds like we have a lot of crappy rotors out there. This is not the first report of rotors coming apart. I never heard of that problem until recently. The rotor is not a stressed part.

Back