• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ 2WD Manual Transmission Leak

PeeTree

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks, I have a 1996 XJ, 2WD 5 spd Manual Transmission leak at the output shaft/slip joint. I replaced the output shaft seal and its now leaking worse that before.

I bought a replacement seal to install again (maybe I messed up the first one at installation) but it really looks like the trans oil is leaking out from the INSIDE of the slip yoke, dripping onto the u-joint.

Is the slip yoke hollow or have I lost a seal/plug somewhere. Did I just bugger up the rear seal and should try again (no I didn't use RTV but will this time)

It is leaking alot so I have to fix it.

Appreciate any help.

no need for rtv on an output seal. its possible you damaged during install.

could it be a wrong seal? worn output shaft or bearings/bushings can also cause repeat seal failure.

post a pic of the leak if you can so we can help determine maybe.

tips: clean the d shaft where it goes into the trans/seal, and apply a thin layer of chassis grease around it where it rides on the seal. also be sure there's no burrs on the trans or on the shaft.

Argh! Replaced the seal again. Used ScotchBright to polish the slip yoke shaft and still leaks.

The exterior of the shaft seems dry and leads me to believe the leakage is coming from inside of the shaft (it is hollow to the transmission output shaft splines).

Should there be a plug in the slip yoke shaft? Is there something I'm missing?

193,000 miles - should I start looking for a replacement tranny?

3893217322_ee4b2ee149.jpg

i have never seen a driveshaft leak, are you sure its gear oil from the trans, or could it be throwing out excessive grease from the u joint?

Unfortunately for my driveway - gear oil. Found on another forum that its could be a star washer on the transmission output shaft-to get to it you have to pull & disassemble the transmission.

I looking at alternate leak "plugs"!

Scotchbrite--no.

Crocus cloth--yes. Pull it and polish the yoke shaft to a near-mirror finish, grease the shaft as mentioned before, and make damn sure you don't warp the seal when driving it in, and use RTV.

Back