• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating problem

RobCherokeeXJ89

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everybody

It seems like the fun never ends with my jeep, and once again she is not functioning properly. Anyways whenever I turn my jeep off it begins to overheat, but it only overheats right when I turn it off completely... Recently I took a trip to Arizona 6 hr drive and my thermostat was running high for a while at 220.

Do you guys think its a faulty thermo? Any help would be appreciated
Thanks,
Rob

I think (and I am not positive here) that if the thermos is gone it should open, not close. It does make sense that the car gets hottest when you turn it off. That's the moment that there is still a lot of heat in the system and the cooling is gone.

Mine was running hot(ter) around 200-210 for a while and then the water pump gave out. Replaced the pump (and the thermos) and now all is fine again. Also, flushing the cooling system may be an idea to improve cooling capacity.

Did you flush it? Just draining it and re-filling it usually leaves a lot of dirt in the system. Anyway, if you think the coolant part is ok then maybe it's time to think about the pump + thermos. Btw, did you check that electrical fan is working properly (i.o.w. is it blowing when the engine gets that hot?)?

Back