• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to disable "Auto lights"

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ Sport. Power windows and locks.
I have a pair of HIDs installed from bajahids.com
They just have some strange quirks like flickering and turning on after i turn off the ignition.

One possible solution that was recomended was to diable the "auto lights"
After searching on here and google, i have come up empty...

Any suggestions?

No, he's talking about the Sentry lights feature. You are talking about when you leave your lights on, and turn off your Jeep, then when you turn off the lights, they stay on for a period correct?

if thats what hes talking about then just kill the lights before cutting off the jeep

Even if i do that, the lights still come back on. The only way to stop it is to turn on the brights via the turnsignal stalk AND turn off the lights via the knob.

Can i just throw in a relay kit and solve all these problems??

if thats what hes talking about then just kill the lights before cutting off the jeep

Even if i do that, the lights still come back on. The only way to stop it is to turn on the brights via the turnsignal stalk AND turn off the lights via the knob.

Can i just throw in a relay kit and solve all these problems??

Thats sounds like the best solution. How was the HID kit to install?

Thats sounds like the best solution. How was the HID kit to install?

Easy as cake. They are just plug and play. The only some what challenging part was removing the stock housings. And that wasnt a big problem either.
Really if you have any wrenching expirence it should be a walk in the park.
For reference, me the 18yr old working on his first car, did it in 45 minutes.

Easy as cake. They are just plug and play. The only some what challenging part was removing the stock housings. And that wasnt a big problem either.
Really if you have any wrenching expirence it should be a walk in the park.
For reference, me the 18yr old working on his first car, did it in 45 minutes.

Cool I can have both in and out in 10 minutes. I figured it was just plug n play but i didn't know if there were any little tricks to it. Are you running them in the Autopal's? I have the autopals already, I'm just doing a few other things before i upgrade to HID.

from my experience, flickering has been caused by
1) weak connections, or
2) NOT grounding back, all the way to the negative battery terminal.

if it is really DRL specific, go-jeep mentions how to disable it hERE ,
but i has a renix, and i built the go-jeep upgraded harness BEFORE converting over, so i allready had good wiring.

from my experience, flickering has been caused by
1) weak connections, or
2) NOT grounding back, all the way to the negative battery terminal.

if it is really DRL specific, go-jeep mentions how to disable it hERE ,
but i has a renix, and i built the go-jeep upgraded harness BEFORE converting over, so i allready had good wiring.

So should i get something like a BOR or eautoworks harness before i upgrade to HID? I have gotten mixed answers on that.

Cool I can have both in and out in 10 minutes. I figured it was just plug n play but i didn't know if there were any little tricks to it. Are you running them in the Autopal's? I have the autopals already, I'm just doing a few other things before i upgrade to HID.

Im running the autopals as well. I have only had brights flashed at me twice... Im going to adjust them so they point more downwards later this afternoon.

Im not sure what you mean by grounding them back to the battery?
It just plug and play, there wasn't really a choice of me grounding or not.

Regardless, the relay kit should give me a much more clean source of power. Plus it was only 26 bucks shipped. Not a bad deal.

Hopefully that should solve the flickering, if not, it would have to be the ballast.:hang:

So should i get something like a BOR or eautoworks harness before i upgrade to HID? I have gotten mixed answers on that.

Just run a relay kit?
Its a clean source of power for $20.
I'm sure the upgraded harness must cost more than that and it couldnt do a better job than a relay...

And here is the fix for your lights HIDs turning back on after you turn the Jeep off:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1011399
figured that one out last night...

Last edited:

its a tough question, as HID's would be less likely to max out your current wiring than some high power halogens... but at the same time, adding a piggyback wiring harness doesnt hurt --just clutters things if done sloppy--.

i started w/ a renix, i have friends who ran the h4 non-HID, and my halogen h4 were WAAY brighter w/ a proper harness then them using the stock undersized stuff.

when i say 'ground back to battery', i mean you cant just ground to your chassis, it doesnt work as well as adding 2 wires that go all the way to the negative terminal. friends of mine have installed their HID's, but not grounded back to negative, some results have been flickering and only 1 light coming on.... re-wire the negative and its fine!

its a tough question, as HID's would be less likely to max out your current wiring than some high power halogens... but at the same time, adding a piggyback wiring harness doesnt hurt --just clutters things if done sloppy--.

i started w/ a renix, i have friends who ran the h4 non-HID, and my halogen h4 were WAAY brighter w/ a proper harness then them using the stock undersized stuff.

when i say 'ground back to battery', i mean you cant just ground to your chassis, it doesnt work as well as adding 2 wires that go all the way to the negative terminal. friends of mine have installed their HID's, but not grounded back to negative, some results have been flickering and only 1 light coming on.... re-wire the negative and its fine!

Do you mean hacking open the existing harness and running your own wires back to the terminal?

Like I said, I just plugged mine in and went with it...

And a "clean setup" isnt really my XJ's strong point...

I'm running the BOR harness n my H4s (will be HID once I decide how I want to mount the ballasts) It works good, I noticed a definite difference with that as compared to the one night my stock wiring lasted with the higher wattage bulbs. By wiring I mean headlight switch. Having it all run through the switch burnt my switch out in one night. :)Adding the BOR harness (and new switch of course) fixed the problem. My only complaint is the relays are very difficult to find as they use one that can (seemingly) only be sourced through one supplier and that supplier doesn't like to ship single relays. I'm still looking for a replacement and will post up when I find it. Until then, it's low beams only. :D

Just run a relay kit?
Its a clean source of power for $20.
I'm sure the upgraded harness must cost more than that and it couldnt do a better job than a relay...

And here is the fix for your lights HIDs turning back on after you turn the Jeep off:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1011399
figured that one out last night...

The Eautoworks kit is like 20 bucks shipped. That is a relay kit.

Thanks for the advice. I planned to ground directly to the battery anyways. I figure an extra 20 bucks for a harness is a no-brainer! :D

Back