• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's or 35's

XJ MoNsTeR

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 88 xj with 5 inch RC lift and fenders cut way out and am thinking my tires are getting worn and was thinking of upgrading to 35' the 33's i have now are great but i want the bigger look but is that all i will be buying just a look what are the pros of haveing a bigger tire they cant be just cosmetic

Last edited:
i have an 88 xj with a 5 inch RC lift and the fenders cut out i was thinking of getting 35's when the time came is the only diffrence the look i just dont want to buy the look i want results for my money

You will miss the performance if your gears are stock. Even with 4.88s, my XJ is a dog with 35s and a terror with 33s. That much difference on the road. However, I don't do much street driving, and need the 35s for the rocks.

If your gears are still 3.55, I feel that you are really pushing the rig, and looking for some breakage. Your axles should be stronger if you are running 35s.

What axles do you have, are they locked, and what gears?

Lot will depend on which axle you have in the back. I wouldn't run 35's on a D35 and expect any type of life expectancy. A 8.25 29 spline should be OK especially if you are not locked. I have a ford 8.8 and am running 35's with 4.88 gears and find them to be perfect.

I think you should post it on every board in this forum. Only way to get a good answer.

I have 35's with stock gearing( 5speed w/ swapped in 3.55 axles)if you expect to drive on roads that have any hills at all you will be saving up for gears!Mine sucks ballzs on hilly roads with the current gearing.....come on tax return!!!

But to answer the question:35's
You will probably always say"man I should've gone with 35's" if you settle with 33's

Keep in mind that xj's run hot and when you compound that by adding 35's and have an automatic tranny its going to be worse if you dont gear down......I dont have to worry I have a 5speed.

Last edited:
Cosmetics is basically the only difference. a 33 will go everywhere a 35 won't go except the mall. 35s are much better at the mall. Really smoothes the curbs and speed bumps.

Oh, wait, is this your mod tech thread or identical non-tech thread?? :D

The benefits should be obvious tho...bigger tire means bigger footprint, higher ground clearance under the axles (only an inch though), better (not sure of the right word) "leverage" to climb over rocks, etc. It's like trying to roll a softball over a speed bump versus a basketball over the speed bump. WHich one's gonna be easier? I have 33s and once I strengthen my front axle (either polishing the thirty or swapping something bigger) and need new tires, I plan on going 35s. I'm at 5.5" lift with very cut fenders.

Last edited:
I think it was Dr. Moab that said this. "I can get anywhere with my 33's that I could get with my old 35's". I think in most sitautions 35's are overkill for an xj. go with the 33's and take the extra money saved from the 35's and buy some other jeep parts.

If you consider the extra stress that 35s seem to put on the drivetrain over 33s, it really seems to make sense to stay with 33s. You can always sell the 33s and go bigger if you find that you really need it.

I say 33s, I just got 35s (i'm 456) and its really not a big improvement... in fact I liked the 33s just fine. CHEAPER & Better MPG

Even if you bump up your lift the 33s will just have more room to travel. 33s are the best all around size, also if you ever decide to sell them after you've worn em down they are easy to sell... Everyone wants 33s :)

Back