• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank swap?

Rockauto.com lists one tank for both 1994 and 1990 Cherokee 4.0 Sports, so I would say yes based on that.

Yes the tanks are the same. You will need to put your Renix fuel pump assembly in the HO tank or your fuel gauge will read backward.

I have a 1993 tank in my 87. The Renix fuel pump is used. The shop that did it, along with 93 hitch install, said that my factory tank skid would not fit with the new tank. I havn't tried the skid myself, but the guys at that shop are complete tools so I don't know if it really won't fit or if it was just them, or if the hitches are different.

I have a 1993 tank in my 87. The Renix fuel pump is used. The shop that did it, along with 93 hitch install, said that my factory tank skid would not fit with the new tank. I havn't tried the skid myself, but the guys at that shop are complete tools so I don't know if it really won't fit or if it was just them, or if the hitches are different.
Shouldn't have been a tank/skid issue... I could see a hitch/skid problem though maybe. Aftermarket hitch?

Shouldn't have been a tank/skid issue... I could see a hitch/skid problem though maybe. Aftermarket hitch?

I always assumed the hitch and skid were factory. I figured the traclok D44 would imply a factory tow package, however some towing-related features on the XJ when I got it would suggest modifications (aftermarket electric brake controller, 7-wire trailer plug). But I don't know what stock should look like, and I don't have a build sheet and cannot get one for the 87. It could have been a non-stock skid, or aftermarket hitch on the 93 or 87, but I always just assumed that the guys at that shop were asshats, which is why I still have the skid. Nonetheless, the tank fit, and the Renix pump fit in the tank, and that fits with the original topic of the thread.:D

Back