• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's a sign...

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
On my way home from working out I saw two cars facing one another on the side of the road, one with hazards going. So after driving by I realized they might need some jumpers...naturally I turned around and asked them just that. The response I got was a pretty obvious "I have no idea what happened, but my car isn't running" type feelings. I pull off and we start talking, turns out his engine seized, we tried to crank it and it just goes thud. The story turned into a "my engines been leaking a lot of oil lately" then a "ya it's bone dry right now"...well I asked if he needed a tow, and I guess his house was no more then a 1/2 mile from where his car was (on the side of the road)...conveniently right next to where my girlfriends car broke down when I wasn't ALLOWED to tow it because a cop was there. So we start walking to the back of my rig to set-up a strap, only for me to realize I'd pulled my hitch off 3 days ago so I could finish up the fitting on my bumper I'm building.

Cool, I had to leave a guys car stranded on the side of the road after I offered to get it to his house, all because I decided to not finish my bumper this weekend. Needless to say, I WILL be finishing my bumper this weekend, one way or another.

My new thoughts are procrastination, although greatly available, is not a word that should be allowed anywhere near my Jeep.

~Scott

I'm surprised the guy didn't kick your ass for teasing him like that. Yes, finish your bumper for God's sake. Personally, I can't stand wheeling or even driving around when I know I have unfinished business in the garage, it just gnaws at me.

Oh, and everyone check your oil. We all know these XJs leak like a sieve, you might be a couple of quarts low.

It drives me nuts knowing it's waiting, but with me getting off at work at 8, it's almost impossible to work on during the week. Especially since I have to work outside the garage as there's no room for welding.

Good call on the oil check though, I leak half a quart a week/two weeks.

~Scott

I have always been thankful for the 6 quart oil sumps in our 4.0's. Gives you an extra in reserve.

mine doesn't leak oil...... it saves it for later on the outside of the motor.

Mine mostly does this too. My son's doesn't leak a drop, it just slowly burns it until you check once a month or so and it's a quart low.

But what the hey, they run forever.

Better check your oil :jester:
haha. it leaks a small amount of gear oil out the drivers side Axle tube. from a bad shaft replacement. but its as clean as can be. i pressure wash the dirt off after every trip. it hardly burns 1/2 qt between changes either.

so far MY luck with these motors has been great. i keep getting cracked Manifolds. (both motors) but never a leak.

I refuse to post incomplete build pics at this stage, as I'll get ahead of myself and start talking about how it will look, then change my mind and make it look totally different.

Think beginner bumper that isn't a complete turd (like some I've seen).

As far as the oil, yeah my engine likes to spew out the dipstick on long full throttles (freeway hitting 70mph range +) as I learned a few weeks ago. I'm getting to the point where I'd just rather get a whole new engine to work with rather then replace more seals.

~Scott

I procrastinate all the time.

I've been meaing to work on my jeep since the last time I drove it August 4th...

One month later, and all its done is collect dust and empty beer cans in the garage!

I'm not going wheeling till the weekend though, so I should have pleanty of time in 4 days to get it ready :gee:

So did you get your bumper finished before you rolled? And do you have pics of the rollover?

Sorry to hear your bad luck, I know you have been working to get everything right for quite some time.:repair:

I did finish the bumper before the roll. In fact, the bumper was the main recovery point for me and it was winched/strapped from multiple times.

Pics to come.

~Scott

Back