• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Noise

sjroocos

NAXJA Forum User
Got a 2000 sport with an 8.25.

Makes some noise all the time, but gets louder when making a right turn under power.

Is this likely something in the diff or maybe a bearing at the wheel? Hoping maybe a simple bearing at the wheel end of the left axle?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Steve in Colorado Springs

How many miles are on your XJ? I had to have the 8.25 rebuilt in my 98 at about 135k with excessive bearing noise. It ended up being the pinion bearings and the carrier bearings. The axles and ring and pinion were ok however the cost of the work was pretty steep. I've been told the 8.25 is very stout and a little bearing noise is fine......I tried to live with it for awhile but I'm a little anal about noises so it finally wore me down and I had it fixed. Its been about 5k since the work and its nice and quiet back there. :)

I've got about 160k on mine.

Was thinking that if it's something simple/cheap, I'd fix it. Sounds like that's not likely the case. I'll probably just let it go, maybe see about finding a good 8.8 to swap in there rather than spend any money on this one.

Thanks.

Steve in Colorado Springs

Back