• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ez lockers?

thechief86

NAXJA Forum User
bj's offroad has detroit ez lockers for $125 right now, and i was seriously thinkings about getting one for my grand waggy, but i've heard mixed things about it. they are only recomended for tires 33" and smaller, and i want to go to at least 35's in the next few years. i've had good luck with my lockrite, but they are around $100 more, as are the aussies. pirate and ifsja have really thrown the ez under the bus, but i would like to hear what you guys think...:dunno:

I havent heard anything bad about them. From what I understand they are compareable to both the Loc-rite and the Aussie... For that price, I'd do it.

By the way, Loc-Rites are only rated for 31's... and Dan and I both are running a way bigger tire, and we both have them in the front.

yeah, but i'm thinking rear axle in a fullsize waggy with a v8. i'm a little worried about it. i'd rather stay open than hafta mess with broken parts.
edit: i also plan on dd'ing the waggy.

Well, all im gonna say is that they are strong enough to break Superior EVO shafts, ask Mark (High2by) about it. Im pretty sure it would be just fine in the back of your truck. My 4.3 probably makes more power than your V8, and I have a lot bigger tires...

the ez or the lockrite? i have no problems with the lockrite, and i have one in my xj, and i know that my 4.0 is stronger than my v8. the thing with the ez is that it only has one spring holding stuff together as opposed to the 2 that lockrites have.
btw, is your 4.3 built? i like those motors a lot, and had one in a blazer. i wish i still had that thing...

Built, nah...

10:1 Flat tops bored .030
Biggest Comp Cams roller cam for Fuel Injection
2.02 Int/ 1.60 Exh valves
Ported/Polished Heads
Edelbrock TBI Performer Intake manifold
Hardened Pushrods
Pushrod Guideplates
Comp Stainless Roller Rocker Arms
Long Tube Fenderwell Headers
Full MSD Ignition system
Edelbrock Computer Chip
Modified Throttle body

... I think thats pretty much it... I think its about 265-280 HP

SWEET!! my blazer was stock aside from welded grand wagoneer axles, and that thing was pretty tough! i would have loved to have a built motor. mine had like 280k on the clock, too! but you still didn't answer if you were referring to the ez or the lockrite earlier... also, what i read on pirate was that the ez slips and then locks really hard, and that's what breaks stuff, but they are all in scouts and blazers with 40's and junk

SWEET!! my blazer was stock aside from welded grand wagoneer axles, and that thing was pretty tough! i would have loved to have a built motor. mine had like 280k on the clock, too! but you still didn't answer if you were referring to the ez or the lockrite earlier... also, what i read on pirate was that the ez slips and then locks really hard, and that's what breaks stuff, but they are all in scouts and blazers with 40's and junk

I was referring to Loc-Rites, but I thought they were the same basic design.

I had a '92 wrangler with the 4.0L HO, 33's, dana 35C, and ez locker. I never broke anything with that jeep and wheeled it every weekend for almost 4 years. It did however have 3.08 gears so there wasn't much torque going through the axle.

According to a recent article in a 4x4 mag, the EZ-locker by Detroit has been discontinued. That is one reason they are probably selling them cheaper than average.

I ran EZ-Lockers front and rear in a Scout II. Dana 44 axles, 4.10 gears and 36" Swampers and never had an issue with them.

Buy them NOW!

thanks ed! i was looking for somebody that ran them in a fullsize rig with d44's

I'd say a Waggy would have no problems since a Scout II is a heavy rig.

cool thanks guys. i'll prolly order mine in the next day or so, after i look at my budget. who knows how to install them? it seems like many people who had problems messed up the intsall...

cool thanks guys. i'll prolly order mine in the next day or so, after i look at my budget. who knows how to install them? it seems like many people who had problems messed up the intsall...

theyre easy just remember reuse the factory side gear shims..... dont ask me how i know this

Back