• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chrysler 8.25 axle swap

Fidget360

NAXJA Forum User
is there a difference in rear drive axle length between a Dana 35 and a chrysler 8.25? I just put an 8.25 in and the rear drive axle barely fit with it up on the lift, so I'm concerned that if I set it down, it'll be too long. it's only got about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of slide room at the tail cone coming off the transfer case.

youll need one that is meant for an 8.25. the yoke on the 8.25 is about 1" longer than the D35. is your XJ lifted? i would suggest getting the driveshaft from an XJ with an 8.25

The 8.25 pinion does poke further forward, so it may use a different driveshaft.
If you don't have the rear springs compressed, and there is only 1/2" of slide room, you definitely need a shorter driveshaft. Why not do a H-n-T SYE and stuff another front driveshaft under there?

I'd really like to, and get rid of my transfer case drop kit, but I'm moving to CO in a week, so that will have to wait. no time or money.

and yes, it's got a 6.5" lift.

i say for now, find the nearest JY and grab a shaft from an XJ with the same engine/transmission combo as you with the 8.25. that would be the fastest and easiest solution IMO. then later on down the road do the SYE when you can.

I'm doing this same axle swap (D35 for 8.25) but I only have 3" lift. Will I also find the D35 drive shaft is too long for the 8.25? Or will my shorter lift have my rear axle farther away from my 242 transfer case than his 6" lift?

I'm doing this same axle swap (D35 for 8.25) but I only have 3" lift. Will I also find the D35 drive shaft is too long for the 8.25? Or will my shorter lift have my rear axle farther away from my 242 transfer case than his 6" lift?

in general the larger the lift the longer the driveshaft. So you probably need the 8.25 driveshaft.

the D35 driveshaft will be longer...

FWIW when i did my axle swap, i felt that my D35 shaft was too long to use, might have been good but i didnt want to risk it. so i went ahead and started on the SYE. a shorter lift wont make your axle farther away either. i would personally snag an 8.25 driveshaft to be safe, or do an SYE.

i replaced my d35 with an 8.25 and reused my stock driveshaft. with 4.5" lift it was fine. i wheeled it that way for two years before going to an SYE

since this thread has been revived for me, can I use the carrier and gears from a 27 spline in the housing of a 29 spline if I replace the spider gears with a lunchbox locker for a 29 spline?

yes, however expect to have to reset the backlash and carrier bearing preload since you're putting a different carrier in. All you need is a dial indicator + gear marking compound afaik, and a side adjuster tool. Take a pattern before you pull the old carrier, measure the backlash, then throw the ring gear on the new carrier, stuff it in (transfer the bearings and cups, or preferably use new bearings) then do your best to reproduce the same pattern with the same backlash.

since this thread has been revived for me, can I use the carrier and gears from a 27 spline in the housing of a 29 spline if I replace the spider gears with a lunchbox locker for a 29 spline?

The correct answer is No,the carriers are different!

:doh:

how'd I miss that, somehow I thought he was putting a 29 spline carrier in it. My mistake.

ok, so no carrier swap, but I can use the same gears right? there's no difference in teh gears for the different spline counts?

Gears are gears!

Would anyone know about swapping in a D35 drive shaft onto my C 8.25 now that it has a 3 inch lift in back? This would be strictly for the extra length. I don't have vibration (yet) but the shaft is pulled out pretty far. :dunno:

used a D35 driveshaft when i swapped a D44 in my 95 with out issue, and the same with my 93 with a 8.25, both rigs had stock exposed lenth of the slipyoke, never had a issue, the 93 was jumped a few times to, both had 3" of lift, another option is a YJ slip yoke

Back