• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

San Juan Triangle Tour 2009

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
The original plan for this weekend was for me to meetup with Jan and do some exploring around the Canyon of the Ancients area. However, because a few people bailed on him and he was unable to check out the San Juans with them, I offered to show him around there instead. We'll check out Canyon of the Ancients on another trip. Jan was looking for a good overview of the area, so we ended up running a number of the more popular trails in the area. I left work early on Friday and met Jan in Ouray. Our first destination was Governor Basin. This is a trail that I had not done yet, and was looking forward to it. I'll definitely be headed back this way in the spring when the wildflowers are blooming.

View towards Yankeey Boy Basin
IMG_7386.JPG

IMG_7392.JPG

Headed up into Governor Basin
IMG_7394.JPG

Jan stopped at an overlook along the way
IMG_7397.JPG

Saint Sophia Ridge
IMG_7407.JPG

Mountain Top Mine
IMG_7408.JPG

IMG_7412.JPG

IMG_7413.JPG

When we reached the Mountain Top Mine we met up with Terry (Remote) and Joan from Grand Junction. They had mentioned that they might meet us on the trail, and they followed through.
IMG_7416.JPG

IMG_7427.JPG

IMG_7435.JPG

IMG_7444.JPG

On our way back down from Governor Basin, we decided to take the short loop over into Sidney Basin. It was a cool area, but would certainly be better in the spring with the wildflowers.

IMG_7447.JPG

IMG_7450.JPG

The narrow off-camber exit from Sidney Basin that I did not like very much....I would have preferred to go up this way instead of down.
IMG_7464.JPG

IMG_7469.JPG

When we reached Camp Bird Road again, we said goodbye to Terry and Joan and headed up into Silver Basin to find our campsite for the night.

IMG_7476.JPG

Saturday and Sunday still to come.....

It seems that both Jan and I are early risers when we are out exploring, so we got our camp packed up and finished the drive up into Silver Basin on Saturday morning.

View as the sun came up in Silver Basin
IMG_7483.JPG

This pond was all reflection this early in the morning
IMG_7493.JPG

Two-track in Silver Basin
IMG_7497.JPG

A recent structure that was sitting at the end of the road??
IMG_7499.JPG

Jan heading up
IMG_7500.JPG

View from the end of the trail
IMG_7503.JPG

After heading back down to Camp Bird Road again, we made our way to the highway and started up Mineral Creek to get to Engineer Pass.

IMG_7510.JPG

IMG_7526.JPG

IMG_7690.JPG

I wanted to fill up my gas tank at this point, so we took Cement Creek Road into Silverton. After I filled up and we toured the town, we made our way back up to Corkscrew Pass.

IMG_7707.JPG

IMG_7711.JPG

When we reached the highway we headed towards Red Mountain Pass and took the quick trip through the Red Mountain Mining District.

Yankee Girl
IMG_7716.JPG

We found our campsite on the road to US Basin
IMG_7720.JPG

Jan rounding the most famous switchback
IMG_7802.JPG

Bridal Veil Falls
IMG_7816.JPG

Since we got an early start, we saw no one else on the trail and were in Telluride in about 1.5 hours. We parked and took a walk through town. After getting a little exercise we started up Imogene Pass.

IMG_7826.JPG

Jan in the Social Tunnel
IMG_7835.JPG

IMG_7843.JPG

Imogene Pass. As usual, it was raining and snowing when we got to the pass. I have been up to Imogene Pass a number of times, and everytime it seems to snow on me.
IMG_7872.JPG

IMG_7876.JPG

IMG_7881.JPG

IMG_7884.JPG

IMG_7891.JPG

IMG_7895.JPG

IMG_7910.JPG

Once we reached Ouray, Jan and I grabbed some lunch at Goldbelt Bar & Grill before parting ways. I headed back home to Grand Junction and he continued his trip by heading to Durango. It was a nice relaxing weekend.

Great report Randy! looks like you guys had a good one. Jan is going to have to adjust a little from high mountains to low deserts when we cross all of Southern Utah next week.

Pisshhh!!

That doesn't compare to our So Cal deserts.... We got sand...... And........ Well, rocks........ And, and........ Sand and...... Oh!! Creosote!!

(Sigh)....I gotta get outta here........:rattle:

Beautiful pics man.....

Black Bear pass? Must be the same as in the song "Black Bear Road" by C.W McCall??

Back