• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exausht question?

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
so i need to replace the exausht system on my 89 jeep cherokee 4.0 auto 4x4, right now its just the pipe going from the exausht manifuld to the cat and the rest has been chopped off

i was planning on just getting the new pipe that goes from the manifuld to the cat, then putting the cheapest muffler i could buy on it with a tail pipe ending just behind the rear door

should that work fine?

is it worth buying a flowmaster muffler will the sound be different.

right now its just too loud, i want it to sound good just not as loud.

Generally Glass packs are a cheap option that sound pretty good on a 4.0. Do you have issues with gas fumes in the cab with the tail pipe ending under it like that? Most of the time its best to rout the pipe out from under the jeep to cut down on fumes.

i run a glass pack and it sounds decent. not as deep as a flowmaster but not as obnoxious as open headers. i ran a pipe that dumps over the rear axle and don't have any fumes

i got mine for i think $20 from auto zone. just get the 2.25" ID/ID and it'll pair up perfectly with your cat then you can run w/e pipe you want after that. go with a 45 and a 90* bend and that'll bring you past the axle

IMO, because of how long glasspacks dont last, straight pipe as far back as you want would be better. A super turbo type muffler would probably be your best bet, can pick uo house brand ones from summit and jegs.

You should have a tailpipe at the back angled downward just like stock. You don't want to mess around with exhaust gas... next thing you know you're brain damaged or dead from carbon monoxide

i run a magnaflow high flow cat with a cherry bomb turbo muffler ($20 from autozone). I liked the muffler, sound was pretty good, a little on the loud side. However, if you wheel in a lot of deep water, it's prob. not the best option. After only a couple times out in the water (for extended periods at a time) I think some welds inside the muffler have cracked due to the muffler heat being suddenly submerged in the colder water or something because it rattles and sounds like crap now, like a bunch of tin cans. Otherwise it was a great muffler for the $20 it cost.

I put a turn down tip directly after the muffler, so it's a little before the rear axle, no problems with exhaust fumes or anything.

cherry bomb glasspacks are the way to go. I got mine from auto zone for 16 bucks and it sounds good. My jeep had no exhuast on it (stopped at the bottom of the headers). In my state, my jeep wasn't new enough to require a cat so i just got some 2" pipe and ran it straight back like the stock location with a cheap resonating tip from walmart (9 bucks). Thats what i suggest you do.

cherry bomb glasspacks are the way to go. I got mine from auto zone for 16 bucks and it sounds good. My jeep had no exhuast on it (stopped at the bottom of the headers). In my state, my jeep wasn't new enough to require a cat so i just got some 2" pipe and ran it straight back like the stock location with a cheap resonating tip from walmart (9 bucks). Thats what i suggest you do.

ya thats basically what i am planning on doing

Back