• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick D60 question

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at a FF D60 from a 199 Ford F250.

comes complete minus gears which is fine as I'll re-gear anyway.

considering it has discs,
can I get 15" rims on this axle or will I have to go bigger?
general thoughts on building this over an older D60 ($350 price tag)

tried searching here and google, can't seem to find the answer.

I'll continue searching, anyone with knowledge, help would be appreciated.

thanks

I know very little about axles in general so far, but which size is it? I know the D60 comes in two different varieties and that the older version has fewer splines, smaller shafts, and is weaker.

any thoughts at all?

some more research, it seems the rotors are about 12.83" rear rotor size... so that leaves just over 2" to clear the calipers and give a smidge of room for the rims.

I gotta give the yes/no to the seller quickly, so if anyone knows for sure I could use the help.

thanks again

You sure that's a dana 60 they're selling?
You didn't fully specify the year, but it's likely a Sterling 10.25" or 10.5" if it's from a '99 or later f-250.
More to your question, you probably will need at least a 16.5" wheel, maybe a 16" with some grinding of the calipers.

$350 is a lot for any rear 60.

If it was from an E250/350 with the large bore spindle and disk brakes, then I'd recommend it. Otherwise, it's the same old junk, small spindles, crappy drums.

You sure that's a dana 60 they're selling?
You didn't fully specify the year, but it's likely a Sterling 10.25" or 10.5" if it's from a '99 or later f-250.
More to your question, you probably will need at least a 16.5" wheel, maybe a 16" with some grinding of the calipers.

the axle is out of a 1999 (saw the typo above just now)
from what I understand, the 10.25-10.5 Stirlings were in the HD or Diesel 250's
the gas 250's had the D60, the seller says it has DANA stamped on it, and I'll be getting some pictures before I grab it anyway.

$350 is a lot for any rear 60.

If it was from an E250/350 with the large bore spindle and disk brakes, then I'd recommend it. Otherwise, it's the same old junk, small spindles, crappy drums.

$350 for an axle up here really isn't bad. for some reason many wreckers think their stuff is covered in gold... so for this axle I don't find the price to be that bad. comparison... D30/8.8/8.25's will go for $750 from the JY even if you pull it.

I would guess its the big bore, large spindles... so I am inclined to go for it... I'll check back later tonite when I get home... unless someone has some other bad points I'll try and grab it.

thanks for the help

In my experience, I've never seen the engine determine the rear axle in a SD.
I guess we'll see when the pics come in, but I haven't seen anything but Sterling axles in f250s and srw f350s.
Perhaps there's a difference between Canadian and U.S. models.

good lord, 750 dollars for an 8.25? I think I can get one for a hundred or so around here, will have to check prices.

In my experience, I've never seen the engine determine the rear axle in a SD.
I guess we'll see when the pics come in, but I haven't seen anything but Sterling axles in f250s and srw f350s.
Perhaps there's a difference between Canadian and U.S. models.

Well I think with the F150's if you got the 4.6L you normally got the full width 8.8 dif. Where as if you got the 5.4L it came with the larger dif (D60 I'm guessing) or part of the 'tow package'

good lord, 750 dollars for an 8.25? I think I can get one for a hundred or so around here, will have to check prices.

I know, its crazy. Called 4 different places 3 years ago where I used to live... 8.8 were $750 cheapest, same with D30... figured 8.25 would be the same. Not sure why, I just laughed and told them I could get one shipped from the states to my door for 1/2 that.

I'm gonna wait for the pics, try and find out whether I can fit 15" rims or not then go from there.

i wouldnt waste my time on a rear 60 just go 14bolt D70 or stearling, all can be had for cheap if you look

Well I think with the F150's if you got the 4.6L you normally got the full width 8.8 dif. Where as if you got the 5.4L it came with the larger dif (D60 I'm guessing) or part of the 'tow package'

That may be the case with the 1/2 ton trucks, since I know nothing about them, but all of the SDs came with the "tow package".
The DRW SDs had d-70 or d-80s, but none of the SRW trucks have the d-60.
The E250 vans come with the d-60, for their better clearance over the Sterlings, IIRC.

I know, its crazy. Called 4 different places 3 years ago where I used to live... 8.8 were $750 cheapest, same with D30... figured 8.25 would be the same. Not sure why, I just laughed and told them I could get one shipped from the states to my door for 1/2 that.

I'm gonna wait for the pics, try and find out whether I can fit 15" rims or not then go from there.
Typiclly F150s came with 8.8s or 9.25s, never a D60. At least modern ones. Earlier ones came with some sort of 9''.

I have never heard of a D60 coming out of a SuperDuty. Granted, you northerners might be getting some random stuff compared to what we get state side.

When Ford changed the F series trucks to Super Duty, they dropped the HD designation.

Well more and more reading and re-search and it seems I DON'T want to use this axle.

still waiting on pics, but I can't figure out how it could/would be a FF rear D60, unless it was swapped in.

I know about the 14bolt, I am helping a buddy build one up for his buggy... but for the tire size I want to run (36-37's) I think a 14b would be overkill, even if it shaved it a plenty. Stirling would be a monster, and the D70 too would be quite large for my plans... thats why a D60 appealed to me. I'd like to match up a D60 front too, but thats another matter.

thanks for all the help here. I had hoped this was good, but I don't want a project that turns into another project just to MAKE it work how I want it too.

Back