• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bodywork sucks!

jamiemac

NAXJA Forum User
I'm workin my old A$$ off. I bought a 95 XJ a while back with some minor frt end damage. Well that stuff is easy. Remove and replace. What is tough though is fixing the minor dents around the rest of the body. Very small spots that have been pushed in on the quarters and doors, that require a little filler. I don't think I'll ever get done sanding.

I'm no pro at it either. If anyone would like to chime in with some tips on making the job easier, I'm all ears.

Mac

air tools are the only way to go. A DA and an inline sander are your friends. They make short work of the sanding. Even the cheap ones from HF do a decent job.

Never really seen one. I've used air stuff for 35 years. At any given time I usually have two of each. I even got one of those funky three sided electric sanders. It comes in handy in corners.

If you are going to get an electric random orbital, I would get one that you can hook a vacuum up to. If you can play with it before you buy it, get one that has the longest stroke possible. The air random orbitals have over a half inch of movement. The life of sand paper is severely impacted by caking of sanding dust on the paper. I always thought the vacuum would be nice. It might also keep you from blowing your nose the color of your vehicle for a week.

Back