• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sept Photo Assignment... LIGHTING

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks to a special request from Handlebars this months assignment will be...

LIGHTING.

Not lightning although you could say its about how you gather light.

The rules are the same as most months however for this month only you can use a photo taken in August also.

rainyroad.jpg

Nice shot Jes, dig the river shot too junior.

Shot this one last week...... then dug several hole in my neighbors back yard......no pot o' gold.

IMG_6442.jpg

I live 3 miles away from the balloon park yet I miss the Balloon Fiesta every year because it is the same week as Fall Fling. This year I am home so it was an easy, pre-dawn bike ride to the valet bicycle parking lot and then the ticket booth right next to it with no line. Nice.

One of my favorite themes is photographing things that light up in the dark. The Dawn Patrol was the perfect subject:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I didn't want to let you down Ryan, luckily you left the door open for when I finally came up with something that suited the assignment.

Some parting shots from Sunday at the Balloon Fiesta. We bummed a ride with Adam (GoKracer1). He brought along his brand spanking new D90 that he bought to replace his dead D50. I gave him one of my SB-600 speedlights and a quick Strobist lesson while we waited for the balloons to launch. These first 4 are his photos.

Straight natural light. I wonder why my flash didn't pop?!?
orig.jpg

Off camera SB-600 held by his girlfriend, used in TTL mode, with a CTO gel warming up the light to tungsten standards.
orig.jpg

Ghastly pop-up flash does nothing to hide my mouth full of breakfast burrito.
orig.jpg

We look like something Rembrandt painted with the "tungsten" light moved away from the camera. Nice job Adam! :thumbup:
orig.jpg

I was working really hard to get the speedlight to blend with ambient. My goal is to make a nice photo that nobody would guess that I lit unless I told them. This one gives me the feel of them looking into the first rays of the rising sun. The sun is actually hidden behind clouds over their right shoulders.
orig.jpg

My wife the Human Light Stand is holding the speedlight with a half CTO gel overhead, just out of the frame to camera right. She really made this photo happen, otherwise it would have been just another one of a million or so other lame photos taken that day. It always amazes me how a little extra light in the right place can improve a photograph.
:sunshine:

Another great evening on sept 6th in S.Utah included some Moon-lighting

attempt at a product usage type shot w/ cool background while prepping a quick dinner

60 sec at f5.6 unmodified

suprised to get any star trails as bright as the moon was.

:D
Another great evening on sept 6th in S.Utah included some Moon-lighting

attempt at a product usage type shot w/ cool background while prepping a quick dinner

60 sec at f5.6 unmodified

suprised to get any star trails as bright as the moon was.

Great shots Jared... what bay is that? Looks like Navajo Mountain in the background? With a light on top (in the night pic)... alien encounters? :D

That last shot is just plain cool.

Back