• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 chain poping noise?

rmonte4812

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got an 98 xj limited with the 4.0 and an np242 with 140k miles. Can the trans case chain slip or skip a tooth if is stretched to much. Also do they simply stretch out even when this xj has most likley never seen a rock before I got ahold of it? This thing looks like it could be straight off the showroom floor. The reason Im asking is because Im getting a strange poping noise in 2wd low when I step on the gas hard.

Ive got an 98 xj limited with the 4.0 and an np242 with 140k miles. Can the trans case chain slip or skip a tooth if is stretched to much. Also do they simply stretch out even when this xj has most likley never seen a rock before I got ahold of it? This thing looks like it could be straight off the showroom floor. The reason Im asking is because Im getting a strange poping noise in 2wd low when I step on the gas hard.

What transmission? If an AW4 could it be your flexplate?

Have you tried holding your hand on the transfer case shift lever when taking off--sometimes the linkage binds up and makes noises.

Maybe some other people have had different experiences with there 242, I've never had one jump a chain. I've had other model (full time) transfers stretch and jump the chain. It usually first shows up when trying to power against something immovable, like a rut or a rock, then later it may jump when you throttle hard.
If your not in 4 full or part time, there should be no drive to the transfer chain. It just kind of free wheels, it may rattle some, but jumping in 2 WD IMO seems unlikely.
I've had really worn front U-joints pop pretty good when in 4X and put under strain.
I'd look at my rear drive shaft U-joints first if it's acting up in 2 WD. Then the exhaust where it passes over the cross member. Possible it could be something in the rear end, a chipped tooth on the spider gears or something, I had one set of spider gears loose a tooth. I was thankful the chipped tooth pieces never found it's way into the pinion and ring gear.
Just for a reference the 242 in my 88 is just about worn out, the front shaft has a bunch of play (bearings) and it's doubtful I have any shift fork pads left, chain has never jumped.

Last edited:
Back