• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The XJ thing......

Dozer11B

NAXJA Forum User
I have found that this passion is very close to the passion felt within certain circles of the Army in that outsiders will never fully understand what we love about our trucks. There is a special lingo, or jargon we use. There are special idiosynchrosies about these trucks that only years of experience have mastered (thanks to those who have come before us). And there is a very huge aftermarket arena for us that few have actually delved into.

Half the guys driving anything ending with a J or a K have no idea what they are driving or why they are driving it. They couldn't tell you the history of their model if they tried. All they know is they have what we call in the Army the "CDI" or "Chicks Dig It" factor..........

It is hard to talk to my close amigos and family members about how excited I am to own my XJ without sounding like a crazed psycho, hell-bent on demolishing OEM and factory-issued gear. Put in terms of an old school hot-rodder, muscle car addict, or even ricer-tuner of today, I would almost sound normal. But given the fact that I want to butcher my fenders, replace my OEM roofrack with a full steel, gutter mount rack, add gears, and a new rear-end, and ultimately a hybrid cage (OH.... MY..... GOD- What IS that?) which count among the many other sordid mods I plan for this truck, they just don't seem to "get it".

Explaining it seems like a ridiculous idea, and a waste of breath. Unless I am talking to my 3 and 5 year old girls who can't wait to go camping!!! To them I drive the "camping truck". Cool points abound........:sunshine:

Anyone military knows what you are saying :patriot:now add the XJ factor and not only do you have a passion to defend our country, constitution, freedom, you also share passion for what made this country great. It was the "can do" attitude of generations past. Thats what wheel-n is about, "can do".:us:

vetern, USAF

I'm not eager to break anything since I'm always so damn broke.

:D
your so damn broke that when you tried to go to the movies they gave you your money back :)

agreed, well said dozer, no other quite understands the feeling

hey, i'm not military, but you'd hafta shoot me to get my xj from me. i know she's ugly, gets bed mpg and is falling apart, but i will have this jeep longer than anything else i own. i can go anywhere i want in my jeep, many places most people couldn't go in a brand new one, and my only worry is if i have enough gas and oil for the trip. when i got my xj, i knew that day that i would never get rid of her for anything. i payed $200 bucks initially, and now i'm well over 3 grand. i couldn't sell her for $100 to a junkyard, so i'll just hang on to her.

i try to tell my buddies about the wonders of the XJ and the potential they have. i try to tell em that my station wagon will go farther then their street queen truck will ever. i try to explain that i dont have a frame. they just dont get it.

then there is US
same rigs, all custom, and the simple fact that i can say i replaced a rear main seal and some one else might be excited too, is just awesome.

i love my XJs. ill give em up when my cold dead fingers have to pried away from the steering wheel.

I really like my XJ. It's not exactly how I want, but I like it.

I like my MJ even more now that I solved the high idle.

Yeah I talked the wife into it.......also found I had a few bucks sittin in my paypal account! Score.:sunshine:

Nicely put!! Couldn't have said it better or agree more!!!

Congrats Dozer!!! RED

I think that the feeling you get in the military is way different than that of the cherokee owning. The XJs are loved and for good reason. But we as a group happen to fall into a niche as many others do involving love for their vehicle. Motorcyclists do it, just talk to a BMW rider. There are good cars out there that have similar followings. I think that the XJ is a great all around vehicle for many many things. I like mine, but it will be gone in the next 2 years. I shall keep my other though, for towing the CJ around.

Resurrecting an old thread of mine, just to stir the pot of sentiment...

Man ain't a damned thing changed in my last couple of years. A deployment got in the way, but coming back to a new (to me) jeep was refreshing. Wish I could get more BUILT XJ owners to wave in this neck of the woods... Hell it would be nice to get a JK wave every now and again.

It ain't about your credit limit... Takes skill and confidence to run these trucks and I've built some up through a couple tranny swaps and an axle swap,among other projects...

Man Wranglers are like vaginas- every chick has one.

Think I'm gonna do up a sig...

Back