• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box bolt allignment, whats the trick?

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
in making this new bumper, taking the steering box on and off has gotten old FAST. the bolts are impossible to line up through the spacer which just flops around and then thread into the 300lb steering box. is there any trick or anything to make this job easier? its also a huge challenge not to crossthread in the process.

I don't remember a huge problem doing it, but make sure you're using the correct bolts, which should have a pointed tip to help line them up, and then try inserting just one, close enough to tight so that the box pivots on that one bolt without flopping sideways. If the box is wobbling all around, it will be hard to get the second bolt in without crossing the thread.

If you're having trouble getting even the first bolt in, another trick that might work is to find a couple of very long bolts a couple of sizes too small, and simply hang the box on those to take some of the weight off. Now you can hold the box with one hand and feed the first proper bolt into the remaining hole with some hope of getting its threads engaged right, because you're using your strength mostly to wiggle the box around, rather than trying to hold it up and align it at the same time.

I've travelled down this road twice now. I feel your pain. I dont know that there is any "real" trick out there. Both times I was alone and used a long skinny punch to align one of the holes from the underside while I pushed the bolt through from the wheel side. Then it was just an ugly wrestle-fest to get the others.

I think it would have been much easier to have someone else laying under there moving it slightly while I pushed the bolts through.

Good luck!

I put a 2x4 across my engine compartment and tied the box to that with a compression strap.

I think it made the job easier but.... I landed up breaking one of the bolts... I think I crossthreaded it. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Good luck!

I think I would just get new bolts while you are at it.

Jeep914x4 said:
I put a 2x4 across my engine compartment and tied the box to that with a compression strap.

I think it made the job easier but.... I landed up breaking one of the bolts... I think I crossthreaded it. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Good luck!

I think I would just get new bolts while you are at it.

I think technically you're supposed to get new bolts every time you do this job. Most of us don't, but if there are problems with threads, rust, etc. it might well be worthwhile.

5-90 said:
Why not make "try studs" - get some allthread that is the same thread as the steering box screws (7/16" UNC, I think) and cut some studs about 5-6" long. Replace with the proper screws when you're done.

Anyhow - that's what I'd do.

5-90

x2
Put them in until they bottom, line it up and put it through all 3 holes at the same time and spin some nuts on the other side for safety.

Back