• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie Rod Swap ?

Deadwood

NAXJA Forum User
I spied a super thick looking tie rod on a WJ at the junkyard today. Started raining and I got out of there before being able to check it out fully.

My question - Is the WJ tie rod (and drag link) a direct bolt on for an XJ?

Not sure on the WJ's but I know for a fact that the whole ZJ set up works on an XJ, as it has been done by many before. Myself included.

I've been eyeing a ZJ set up on a 97 with the V8 at the junkyard....but then today I saw this WJ with a V8 and the tie rod looks way thicker. Not sure if its solid or tubing? Not sure if it swaps? I'll be going back in the next few days but I'd like to know if this will be a direct swap before I get there.

No, WJ stuff is an upgrade, but not a direct bolt on affair.

The WJ uses a crossover steering system, which means a solid knuckle to knuckle tie rod, and the draglink attaches to the knuckle independently of the tie rod. Search on the swap, its pretty popular. But you need both WJ knuckles, you need to weld spacers onto the knuckles, add a raised trackbar mount like the one from JKS, and then you will be good.

WJ set up:
WJ.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Begster - I was just searching and found that info in one of the WJ knuckle swap threads....I'm not ready for all that - just want to strengthen the steering for cheap right now.

ZJ with a V-8 is the easy upgrade. You end up upgrading the drag link.

for a RENIX rig the drag link from a v8 zj is an upgrade but for HO's its the same. but the tie rod from a V8 zj is an upgrade- a considerable upgrade.

for a RENIX rig the drag link from a v8 zj is an upgrade but for HO's its the same. but the tie rod from a V8 zj is an upgrade- a considerable upgrade.
X2 on what stewie said.not only is the tie rod a upgrade, but the TRE's are a lot bigger also.if your looking for easy driect bolt in go ZJ.i run it and it's cheap to boot!

I'll be getting the ZJ V8 tie rod. Cheap junkyard building is where I'm at.

Cash for clunkers is panning out for me. I scored 2 full header panels, several markers/turnsignals, several headlight bezels, two skids, and a very nice condition front DS this week. Sell a couple things and I'll be able to buy a SYE!!

I'll be getting the ZJ V8 tie rod. Cheap junkyard building is where I'm at.

Cash for clunkers is panning out for me. I scored 2 full header panels, several markers/turnsignals, several headlight bezels, two skids, and a very nice condition front DS this week. Sell a couple things and I'll be able to buy a SYE!!

Try these guys out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ball...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I used the kit and it's super beefy and great quality. I am suprised you can even score tie rods at the JY. In MI and IL they won't even sell them due to liability.

The junkyards around me don't sell tie rods either. They say you don't want to reuse them anyway cause it's dangerous. I don't believe them, but will probably end up buying a new tie rod/ tres and drag link from auto zone if it's cheap enough.

The junkyards around me don't sell tie rods either. They say you don't want to reuse them anyway cause it's dangerous. I don't believe them, but will probably end up buying a new tie rod/ tres and drag link from auto zone if it's cheap enough.

You shouldn't believe them because that's utter BS. Tie rods are nothing but pieces of metal, nothings is dangerous about reusing them. They probably are talking about tie rod ends, which are not the same as a tie rod.

Back