• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

factory front skid plate

masswrecker

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering the strength of the factory front skid plate for the 87-89 XJ they are now really cheap through chrysler and I am debating on buying one, and was wondering if it is worth the 30 bucks shipped or not.

$30 shipped is good for a stock plate. Post a link. The stock plates are fine for most DD type rigs that see trail on the weekend. If you rig see regular hardcore Rocks you will want heavier. but you could wait till you fold the stock to buy them.

The factory front skid plate will not do much in the way of protecting from rocks, especially if you have anything over about 3" of lift. I scored one for $15 from a fellow Naxja member, and will put it on mainly to keep branches/brush out of the engine bay, and to help protect the alternator from splashing water and such.

Sorry found pic on different thread. I am going to try to mount it to a 98. Place I bought it from specified fits years 84 - 95 but I think it will still fit a 98?

Man thanks alot. It looked like a good fit when I held it up and spotted it where it should mount.
Do you know what size bolt will thread into the empty threaded hole behind each sway bar mount in the frame?

Anyone have a pic of one installed? I just received one from Morris 4x4 today.

They're not the best shots but you get the idea:

100_1103.jpg

100_1855.jpg

Doesn't do much if you play on a lot of rocks...but makes a hell of a mud shield for the engine, which is the primary reason why I put one on.

Last edited:
Do you know what size bolt will thread into the empty threaded hole behind each sway bar mount in the frame?
I don't know what size the bolt is, but:

When you bolt that thing up, use a SHORT bolt! The passenger side bolt is right in line with the alternator case, and if the shank of the bolt sticks up too far, when you hammer your rig pretty hard, you can ram that bolt right through the alternator case. (seems like there's plenty of clearance, but we managed to do that racing in an MJ with a bolt that stuck up above the top of the threaded insert a little over an inch.)

Cool got it, will do. And THANKS!

I don't know what size the bolt is, but:

When you bolt that thing up, use a SHORT bolt! The passenger side bolt is right in line with the alternator case, and if the shank of the bolt sticks up too far, when you hammer your rig pretty hard, you can ram that bolt right through the alternator case. (seems like there's plenty of clearance, but we managed to do that racing in an MJ with a bolt that stuck up above the top of the threaded insert a little over an inch.)

Yellow primer or the last can in the cupboard? lol JK
Remember that skid is all fun and games going forward, but if you get into deep snow or mud reverse is not an option. It's just a big scoop! lol -B

I run one on my rig to help protect the alternator from mud/debris. It works good for that and to keep sticks from getting into the serpentine belt. It has no real protection other than that for a trail rig. I also have my vacuum res mounted inside of mine since I do not have a bumper so to speak.

Where did you find them for $30 shipped??

For the record, the big bolts are M12

Are you supposed to use all 3 on the passenger side? I assumed those extra 2 sticking out on the flange were just for the alternator splash shield so I just used the single threaded hole. After all why would the left side have a single bolt if it wasn't enough?

BTW it is useful for 2" lift and is probably good for aerodynamics. It's 1/8" and has ridges stamped into it, plus a welded piece of angle iron at the bottom edge. So it should be pretty strong and rigid. I could swear the front end feels stiffer but it could just be a placebo effect.

If you put it on and remove the air dam, you get a cool high clearance front look. I think it makes it look more like a military vehicle.

xkrdjd.jpg

Last edited:
I don't get this. The axle is lower than the bottom edge of the skid anyway.

Doesn't matter if the axle is lower, as the axle height doesn't determine your necessarily stuck. depending upon mud/snow consistency, you can sink her past the axles and not get stuck. On the other hand if you drop into some unseen buried mud hole, you aren't backing out, that skid will stop you dead in your tracks. By the same token that skid can lift your front tires when moving forward and cost you front diff traction. IMO lose that skid, this is experience talking not just winging it here. -B

Back