• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where and what brand is best overall gears???

187import

NAXJA Forum User
I recently lifted my 2000 Xj 10.5inches. Before too long i hope to be doing a set of gears. With 37inch tires, it needs it badly on the highway...

What is a good overall brand and also decent priced?

Rustys offroad seems to be a good deal.?. Anyone used their gears?

Thanks
josh

I recently lifted my 2000 Xj 10.5inches. Before too long i hope to be doing a set of gears. With 37inch tires, it needs it badly on the highway...

What is a good overall brand and also decent priced?

Rustys offroad seems to be a good deal.?. Anyone used their gears?

Thanks
josh

I have Yukon gears in my axles. No complaints here. I also hear that nitro gears are good and so are OEM.

10 inches??? wow....prepare for the hate

1974_eating_popcorn.gif

ive got genuine in the front, yukon in the rear. Both installed correctly, no whine, no problems with either. Genuine has the warrenty though...just something to think about

I have always been told, Stick to Yukon gears.

and i agree 10+ inches of lift for 37s is over kill. you can do 37s on 6.5" of lift.

Alloy USA was the best before they went out of business. Now Ten Factory http://www.tenfactory.com/
is selling the axles but I don't know about gears. Motive are supposed to be good as well. I have Yukon and no complaints.

They're a division of the same company that makes Motive gears. That's what I went with, front and rear. My first time installing gears and they don't whine at all. I would go with Motive again.
Billy

I just have Genuine gears in my front dana 30 and rear 44. Had them professionally installed and they have been absolutely great. They also come with a lifetime warranty. A company that backs up their product like that speaks volumes in my opinion. If anything, it's good insurance for your investment. We all know gears don't come cheap.

I have Alloy USA gears in my rear 44 and Yukon in the front. I'm happy with both. From what Ive read and through experience it seems like the install is biggest difference between a good and bad experience. My Dana 30 with alloy USA gears survived a blown seal filling the housing with pudding thick mud, I had to drive home on it. Also Motive has a story on their site about a guy running half a crawling season without gear oil (by accident) so it sounds like their stuff is quality.

My only experience with Genuine gears was a set that I installed for somebody and the install kit only had like 5 shims in it. If I hadn't had some shims in my garage I would not have been able to finish the installation. IMHO, any manufacturer that would offer an install kit with only 5 shims is questionable at best.

I have porc and have never had any problems with them. I think they are yukon rebrand but im not sure maybe someone else could chime in on that. my biggest advice would be to get a good master instal kit with timkin bearings

i have had nothing but problems with yukon gears in my 30 and 44 rear i went precision but now they are out of business. the genuine gears are junk if they are not set perfectly, but they now have whats called a g2 from genuine sold at 4 wheel parts with the same warranty but genuine gear has the gear sets cut from the oem factories. all dana axels and ring and pinions come from factory that makes the oem gears in the ratio you want. ten factory is complete crap from a machinists point of view they are very inaccurate on the wheel stud size in the 44 axles especially and the retaining rings from any company dont fit like they should-either too loose or too tight. i would go with the new g2 gears they are cheaper than most gear sets but made by the manu. and they most of the time dont need to be ordered they are in stock.

Back