• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird wobble

rmonte4812

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if anyone has an idea of why my 98 xj seems to have a wobble? Its only for the first 10-20 feet or so when I get on the gas hard and after that it rides perfect. I've checked all ball joints, bushings, wheel bearings, u-joints and motor mounts. All seem to be in good shape. I did find a wasted drivers side motor mount but that was not it. 3" lift, goodyear tires, I even rotated them. Any ideas?? Thanks

Did you check the track bar/track bar mount?

Heres a checklist to go by

Trac Bar
Ball Joints
Tie rods
Control arm bushings

I dont care what everyone else says but tires out of round or balance will not cause death wobble. Tire hop yes but not side to side action

And neither will a bad steering stablizer, if the jeep is aligned correctly and all the parts are good it doesnt even need one of those. It only masks the problem.

Heres a checklist to go by

Trac Bar
Ball Joints
Tie rods
Control arm bushings

I dont care what everyone else says but tires out of round or balance will not cause death wobble. Tire hop yes but not side to side action

And neither will a bad steering stablizer, if the jeep is aligned correctly and all the parts are good it doesnt even need one of those. It only masks the problem.

I agree with you 100 percent, however, the OP states it only happens in the first 10-20 feet of a hard acceleration start, so it ain't DW that he is talking about.

My thinking was a tire or rim out of true that could cause a loose or bad track bar to allow things to shift around.

Heck, for that matter it might be bad engine/trans mount letting things slam around. :gee:

I have seen this problem happen (on other vehicles) with incorrect front end alignment (toe-in adjustment primarily) in conjunction with loose steering couplings (tie rod end(s) - they should be checked for tightness anyway). The steering damper should also be checked because it will prevent the wobbling from starting (the wobbling is really an "oscillation" which is "dampened out" by the steering damper). Just my 2cents... good luck. DWoj

I did replace the drivers side motor mount and thought that was it for sure, but it was'nt. I also rotated the tires that was'nt it either. Also all the ball joints and tie rod ends seem to be good, everything feels tight. I havent checked the trans mount yet and that would make sense. Ive been thinking is has to be something in the driveline because its only when I first step on the gas and there most amount of torque twisting everything. I will check the trans mount today. Its supposed to be around 115 here in Phoenix so I may wait till tonight. Thanks for all the input, I will post what I find.

Why is everyone focused on the front end? In the first few feet of travel, the front end is hardly in play. I'd be looking at the rear end and rear driveline.

Upon hard acceleration, axle wrap is an issue with the leaf-sprung rear end. If the rear is wrapping enough, rear driveshaft u-joints would be where I put my focus...especially if the lift included blocks in the rear instead of new, or add-a-leafs.

Back