• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do i unlock my brakes?

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
01 cherokee
4x4 np231

left front brake caliper is locked up good. unscrewed the bleeder for a good while and let the fluid drip. they're still locked. can anyone help?

Check your caliper slide pins, they become worn and can prevent movement of the caliper. Other possible causes fluid is contaminated or MC return port is blocked, or you can have a power booster problem. Is it all four wheels, or just the left front??

just the left front

Then concentrate on the caliper slide pins and the other mounting hardware for the left.

Buy a new one...
I just tried rebuilding my right front for hanging up.
The plastic piston broke coming out.
$22 at Autozone in NJ.
My left front hung up in January.
My piston had a messed up area that kept it from moving easily.
I hope I get a little more time out of the new ones:doh:

just bought a new caliper and pads. old caliper is off and new caliper is assembled. just gotta wait for the rain to stop before i install.

your getting rain??? could you please send some this way we need it BAD....
OK back on topic, looks like you have it figured out. If this one locks to.. try replacing your brake hose. With age they deteriorate also and can actually develop a flap(of sorts) on the inside that may let fluid to the caliper but will not let it release it..

thanks for the advice guys. ill do my best to send some rain your way. go rain go. go to tx.

Just one last thing--what is the condition of the slider pins??

I had one seize up on me also. What I did was remove the bleeder screw, I then took a large c-clamp and compressed the caliper against the rotor. It loosened up enough that once I removed the bolts it pulled off the rotor by hand. Replace that caliper. Once it seizes once it will seize again.

Back