• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing a freeze plug?

I figured as much.
But I'd feel like a total moron if there was some simple trick I just didn't know...then spent two days beating the crap out of it!!

Thanks guys!
Rick

If it's accessible, it's fairly easy.

I use a long extension and tap the top edge into the block, this allows the bottom edge to pivot twist out. Then grab with a vise grip and pull it out of the block. The new one going in I use a socket that has an OD just smaller than the ID of the freeze plug and then tap it back in.

A hint is to put a thin coating of permatex (the brown smelly stuff) along the outside lip. While wet will act as a lube when installing, when dry will seal it.

good luck,
Tom

When I first bought my 92 rig it had a freeze plug missing on the block right by the drivers side mount. To hard to tap a new one in so I got one of those rubber expansion plugs available at most auto parts stores and 5 years later not a single problem.

socket, hammer, and glue....good luck i hate freeze plugs

Back