• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Switch Replacement

McDuffers

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, Noob here, I recently got a 97 XJ sport and I'm wondering how to replace the pull switch.

The reason for doing so (in case you were wondering) is that my parking lights never work when I have the headlights on and the headlights will sometimes stay on for 10 minutes after I shut the switch off, this automatically pointed me to the switch it's self, as it has been for similar problems with other vehicles...

Am I just taking a shot in the dark and there are other things to look at, or is my assumption correct? Either way I need to know how to get the bugger in there...

It is pretty easy but can be a bugger to get your hands on. Just take your hand up under your dash right behind the switch. You'll find a perfect circle hole in a thick metal bracket. Push your finger in the hole until you find a small 1/4" sized metal button that is on the bottom of the switch. While holding that button pressed, pull out on the pull lever of the switch and it will come all the way out. It isn't hard to pull out so if it doesn't come right out for you then you are not pushing the button good. Once you have the triangle shafted pull lever then use a wide flat screw driver to unscrew the round nut with a hole in it that you just pulled the lever from. Once you unscrew that nut, the switch is free to pull out and disconnect. Hope this helps.

Question--is the headlights staying on a courtesy function in the 97?

don't be too quick to assume lights staying on is a defect. Most (if not all) jeeps are designed with a headlight delay (but not 10 minutes). If you shut off the headlights before turning off ignition, they will stay on for a while...then shut off by themselves. If you shut off lights, then turn off ignition, lights go off immediately.

Parking lights may be a completely different issue.

Flyfisher is referring to the "Sentinel" feature. If you turn your XJ off while your headlights are one and then turn them off you'll have 30 seconds of headlights only to illuminate your entry into a dark house or driveway. While this feature is active, the parking lights are NOT on.

don't be too quick to assume lights staying on is a defect. Most (if not all) jeeps are designed with a headlight delay (but not 10 minutes). If you shut off the headlights before turning off ignition, they will stay on for a while...then shut off by themselves. If you shut off lights, then turn off ignition, lights go off immediately.

Parking lights may be a completely different issue.
Mine's never done it.

I'll be attempting to change out my headlight pull switch as well. The lights are already wired to a toggle (needed lights to work, didn't have new switch). Looking on the NAPA website, is this the correct parts to be looking at? When I tried to go through the menus and choose switches, I got the turn signal, highbeam, etc switch for $100. I like these two at $16 or $20 better.

There have been numerous postings here on bad NEW switches from the major parts chain stores.

Try pulling the switch slowly, and have someone observe the parking lights and see if they come on at all, just not at the correct "stop" in the switch.

Back