• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Starter wiring help

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I removed by starter and didn't make a note of where the wires hook up. Could someone take a picture of theirs?

I have two terminals on the solenoid that are the same size and no marks to determine which terminal is which. TIA

There is one small terminal that the small wire connects to then you have the think cable that connects to the terminal that has nothing connected to it. The other one has a mesh wire that comes off of it and goes to the actual starter. You don't connect it to that one. You connect it to the large terminal that does not have the mesh strap coming from it. Sorry, no pics. Mine is covered is covered in mud and I would have to clean it off to show anything in the picture. Let me know if this doesn't do it for ya.

so this is what I think your saying:

wiring.jpg

Hmm so I'm running a painless wiring harness, they have a wire that says it should go to the starter battery positive so wondering if that would go to the small terminal or the larger battery terminal. Have to call painless in the morning.

that would depend what it powers. If you want power only when cranking, you would use the small terminal, always live would put you on the big terminal.

Is Painless making an XJ specific harness now or are you using one of their universals?

Yes just for the 4.0's 91-99 I think are the years. I'm going to try and post a write up of how it all went when I get it done and running.

Starter looks like it's wired right and the Painelss lead goes to a hot at all times.

Ok, good to know on the Painless harness for future reference. If the Painless lead needs to be hot all the time it needs to attach to the large lug with the main positive cable.

Back