• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on my rear shock placement

offrd3

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I measured the length of shock I would need and found out that I would have to move on of the locations on the rear axle. I wasn't cool with moving the top one through the floor. So I and playing with the bottom mount to get it lower and I moved it towards the wheel but I’m worried about getting hung up. Do you guys think this is a problem its only 2 inches lower then stock and moved 3 inches towards the wheel. The mount in the pictures is only mock up to see what’s going one. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

P1040379.jpg

P1040382.jpg

I would not do that. you're going to get all hung up on rocks and stuff... you are greatly reducing your ground clearance that way.

EDIT: the way those are placed, they're also likely to crush the side of the shock into the axle when it flexes.

Pretty much what I'm saying is that this will be great for mall cruising, assuming the roads are better in New Jersey than they are in Mass (we have too many potholes for that setup)...

well what would you do? should I run a shorter shock and then use limit straps? In jersey theirs alot of sand and thats what i mosly wheel in.

Im gonna have nightmares

Ok, I think you've got your geometry all fukerd up in your head....... Apparently your rig has a couple inches of lift (lift block and what appear to be longer shackles in the pics).

So...... why are you putting a longer shock on when you've already dropped the suspension a couple inches as it is?

The way I'm seeing your issue - you've moved the axle/springs down farther away from the body. So you simply should only have to move your shock mounts higher up on the axle, not make them lower.........

I know you're thinking you needed longer shocks for more axle travel, but realistically, you didn't increase the amount of suspension travel much at all by adding the blocks and shackles. The previous size shocks would have worked just fine if all you did was move the mounts up higher on the axle......

Ya dig? :thumbup:

I think you might be right, the problem i seem to be having is the stock ones are way short and not in the best of condition, and i got the ones in the picture free from a buddy and maybe free isn't always the best thing.

yeah free is generally awesome, but if you want to wheel that with long shocks you need to put them through the floor... if your old ones were too short, the mounts relocated to the center of the tube would probably make them just right

Back