• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Expedition Trans Question

seanR

Want to puff on my pipe?
NAXJA Member
I need to know what Tranny is in a 1997 Ford Expedition. It is an Eddie Bauer has the all wheel drive selection on the 4X4 selector. I am told there are two trannys that could be under this thing. How do I know which one, I know nothing about Fords. Thanks.

4R70W:

Square-ish shaped pan about 13" X 14", rear corners of the pan are slightly tapered, 14 pan bolts

E40D (old name)/ 4R100 (new name):

Rectangular pan, about 13" X 20", one corner is notched in, has 20 pan bolts.

I'm in Florence, guessing Sutherlin is about 100 mi. away. Yes, it is a neat place, nice people. A little warm over there right now, I think they have been close to 100' the last few days!

While we were there we went up Red butte Mnt. The same morning we were at the coast. It was cool, 85' in reedsport and it was snowing on top of the mnt. My G/F grandparents live out there she hadn't seen them in 20 years.

seanR said:
While we were there we went up Red butte Mtn.

Had to get the topo maps out to find that! Only place I've been off the highway in that area is further East on Hwy 138, up Steamboat Creek Rd. trying to find the backway into Cottage Grove ( in my ex-ZJ). Didn't make it though, too many snow drifts across the road, so I backtracked out. Did you make it up to the lookout tower? and how was the road?

No we did not make it all the way up to the top. My G/F's dad was driving his P-up, he wimped out! I tried to talk him in to going all the way up but he is the type of person who waxes the bed of his truck, 'nuff said!

Back