• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Automatic Transmission Swap

Abusse

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997 XJ with the standard AW4 Transmission, it also has a 2.5" lift and runs 31 BFG All Terrain T/A and was geared at 4.10:1. The transmission was rebuilt about 2 years ago and is starting to shift poorly and does weird things from time to time. I was wondering if there are any automatic transmissions that can be swapped for the notorious AW4? In the future i would also like to put an Atlas II Transfer Case. Thanks for any help.

Nothing wrong with the AW4. You probably just got a bad rebuild or possibly the wrong fluid. I don't know of any people that have swapped the AW4 our for another auto while keeping the 4.0L. I'm sure there are some out there, but there is no real need to swap it out.

I didn't think that they break, mine has over 225,000 miles on it.

Yeah,dont know where you came up with that.The AW-4 is considered an awsome trans capable of holding more horsepower than we'll ever develop.Trans coolers are a must if you dont change the gears to accomidate larger tires though!

either you had a bad rebuild, dirty fluids/clogged filter or you beat the fukin shit out of that tranny.....my '91 has been driven to hell and back and still shifts fine......i would try changing the filter, fluid, and adding a cooler

check your TPS also... believe or not, it an effect the AW4 and how it shifts... even if there is no code... mine was doing weird stuff and I changed my TPS and walla!!! shifts new!

i beleive the AW4's are also toyota transmission found in the toyota supras, they can be made to handle all sort's of power, and their very reliable

Back