• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np 242 + locker = BOOM?

-88fleXJ-

NAXJA Forum User
I've heard that if you put a locker on a xj with a 242 it will blow up.

i want to put in aussies front and rear and NEVER use the full time 4x4.

i only use 2hi and 4low. can i do it OR shuld a swap in a 231.

THANKS.

the case itself is really not that different. i dont know why someone would say that. but as long as you understand 4WD, full time or part time, will be basically useless on the streets. it wont put more stress on the t-case causing it to blow prematurely. the stress will be on the axles, not the t-case

well the transfer case acts like an open differential in full time 4WD in that the front and rear driveshafts can turn at different speeds. but locking the axles shouldnt cause more stress on the transfer case since the front and rear would still be able to spin at different speeds.

As long as you dont use full time on the street it will be ok. Heck, you could do it once in a curvy section of dry road and see what the problem is. It's not necessarily a problem of blowing up your transfer case, but one of drivability.

It will spontaneously combust!

Like someone said earlier you can't use full-time on the street anymore. The TC almost becomes a 231 in the fact that you have to treat it as if its either 2wd or 4wd low, no in betweens. If you do use it things will start to bind up if there's any turning at all and it's nearly impossible to drive.

Back