• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 to 87 engine swap.

jmarkm

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 which is a 'rust bucket' but has good engine-4L. My 1987 has a bad engine. I wish to swap. I changed flywheel, manifolds. The temp sensor I can relocate (no hole in the '92). What do I do about the knock sensor. There is no hole in the '92 engine for this.
Your help is appreciated.

I have read other posts on here where it is recommend that you tap the boss and install the knock sensor as usual, or that you can just let it hang around as long as it is plugged in.

I have read other posts on here where it is recommend that you tap the boss and install the knock sensor as usual, or that you can just let it hang around as long as it is plugged in.

^This.^

And I've heard that it will run just bolting the 87 intake onto the 7120 head, but the fuel injectors will be somewhat blocked by the intake ports. If you really want to keep the Renix intake, the proper way would be to swap the head from the Renix onto the HO block. I think this would be more work than adapting the newer intake, and I would only do it that way if it had to appear in original configuration for inspections or something, as the head and intake are the bulk of what is better about the 91-95 4.0 compared to earlier ones.

Why does it have to be plugged in? Mine is unplugged (tabs broke off sensor) and seems to work fine..

Back