• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reliable, Trusted Car audio installer in Charlotte?

I am looking for someone who is trusted and reliable to do a fresh install of my stealthbox and amp and possibly new speakers as well.

Must be in Charlotte, or else can come to me, and must have experience. I can't afford to have some other knucklehead screw me over again after my first bad experience.

I have gone to Freeman's Car Stereo (they were the ones who did the install the first time of my subs/amp and didn't hook up something right b/c the amp wasn't turning off and I went through 4 batteries before I finally realized what the problem was).

Then I went to Tweeter to have them check to see if anything was installed incorrectly, and they looked and said everything looked fine to them. So then last summer I had them install a new CD player/head unit, and got a better battery--Optima Yellow Top. It lasted a year and when I got back from Europe, my Jeep was dead, despite it being started and moved the whole time I was gone.

So I want someone who won't nickel and dime me, but will also stand by their work and do a good job.

Any suggestions?

That doesn't seem like it would be to hard to install? If you have all the equipment and supplies a couple of friends and i can have that done for you in a few hrs. I have a 12 inch infinity with a 1200 watt amp that i installed in my jeep my self never have any problems! I'll even let you test mine before I do the work for you if you want!

your aftermarket stereo will have a remote wire coming out of the harness. if tweeter installed a wiring harness for your xj (its another harness that hooks into your factory wiring...and then connects to your new radio)...it will actually be labeled 'Remote'. Just run a wire from there to the amp...that would be your remote turn on lead. Then the amp will only turn on when the radio is on. hope i explained that well enough...

the dash trim just pops out...then the radio is held in by like 2 screws. pull the radio out...sometimes aftermarket radios have the color code for the wires printed on a sticker on the radio itself. That would tell you which color wire is the remote (most likely not being used).

Car Audiomasters off of N Polk Street. Haven't had anything done by them but have seen some of their work and it seemed pretty impressive.

your aftermarket stereo will have a remote wire coming out of the harness. if tweeter installed a wiring harness for your xj (its another harness that hooks into your factory wiring...and then connects to your new radio)...it will actually be labeled 'Remote'. Just run a wire from there to the amp...that would be your remote turn on lead. Then the amp will only turn on when the radio is on. hope i explained that well enough...

the dash trim just pops out...then the radio is held in by like 2 screws. pull the radio out...sometimes aftermarket radios have the color code for the wires printed on a sticker on the radio itself. That would tell you which color wire is the remote (most likely not being used).

I'm trying to do this, and I have the dash trim off but i don't have the tools to remove the radio to check... :(

a basic set of rachets will do it. i believe its like 10mm or close to that. sorry i cant help much more than that...you're almost there!

If I were closer, I'd come help. I've been doing 12V electronics professionally for over 7 years now.

I can tell you a 99 XJ's radio (or in your case with an aftermarket, dash kit) is held in by (2) 3/8" screws. I like to put a backstrap on these since most kits are rather flimsy, especially bouncing through the woods, but it's unlikely tweeter did.

Depending on the manufacturer of your radio, the remote wire will most likely be blue/white, or solid blue.

Now if your amp isn't shutting off, first try unhooking the wire that is currently hooked up to the remote input of your amp.
The amp should turn off. If it doesn't,(and assuming it doesn't have a speaker level sense) there is probably something wrong with the amp itself.
If it has a speaker level turn on system (rare, but some "all in one" systems do, ex: Bazooka, Infinity Basslink, etc..), make sure the speaker level inputs aren't shorted, or better yet, disable it if possible. Otherwise it may be sensing a false signal, keeping it on.

Good luck!

If I were closer, I'd come help. I've been doing 12V electronics professionally for over 7 years now.

I can tell you a 99 XJ's radio (or in your case with an aftermarket, dash kit) is held in by (2) 3/8" screws. I like to put a backstrap on these since most kits are rather flimsy, especially bouncing through the woods, but it's unlikely tweeter did.

Depending on the manufacturer of your radio, the remote wire will most likely be blue/white, or solid blue.

Now if your amp isn't shutting off, first try unhooking the wire that is currently hooked up to the remote input of your amp.
The amp should turn off. If it doesn't,(and assuming it doesn't have a speaker level sense) there is probably something wrong with the amp itself.
If it has a speaker level turn on system (rare, but some "all in one" systems do, ex: Bazooka, Infinity Basslink, etc..), make sure the speaker level inputs aren't shorted, or better yet, disable it if possible. Otherwise it may be sensing a false signal, keeping it on.

Good luck!

OK, I got the radio out and took some pics. I hope they are able to shed some light on the situation.

My amp is currently not hooked up to any subs right now, and it's not hooked up to the car battery either b/c I just got a new one and didn't want to mess it up till I had this whole mess resolved.

There's a skinny blue wire that runs from the 'remote' input on the amp to a spot on the back of the head unit. However, I don't think the amp is getting shut off when the engine/stereo is off.

There is also a level knob on the amp but I've never messed with that.

Anyway, here are the pics

this is the blue wire I'm talking about
DSCN3890.jpg

DSCN3889.jpg

These are the 2 wires that plug into the amp
DSCN3891.jpg

the last pic is the rca wires...the signal from the radio gets sent through those. the remote wire will tell the amp to turn on/off. some amps have signal sensing capability (means you dont have to run a remote wire, the amp will know its receiving a signal and turn on)...since u have a remote wire ran, if you have the switch on the amp you can turn it to off. if you can...try to borrow another amp and throw it in yours to test. if it turns on and off with your radio...you've narrowed the problem down to your amp. if it acts the same as your current, its a wiring problem.

Back