• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Duratrac or Truxus mt

commando

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to decide which ones to buy for a DD weekend warrior,Midwest wheelin mud,slick wooded trails,I don't really care about tire noise I care if they balance well and wear well.Now that the dura tracs are gettin some miles how are they holdin up Thanks

I am biased but I love truxus M/T's I love them. They wrote up a article on them in last months petersons 4 wheel as the best mud tire they tested out of quite a few. I scanned it for you. (see the rankings in the article)

truxus.jpg

The duratracs look like a street only tire in my opinion so I say go with the TRUXUS MT's, but then again, so do the BFG AT's. So maybe my opinion is a little different than other people's. I got "banged up a bit" in the "other Jeep forum" when I said this, but I am getting awesome mileage out of my BFG KM2's on my F350 if you are open to other options.
-Aaron

Last edited:
The duratracs look like a street only tire
Far from it,I just bought a set of 265/75/16 and am extremely impressed with them.They also have rim protection that the new KM2's lost.I used to run 33x10.50 BFG MT's,then I bought a set of Nitto's since I was doing a lot of Wheeling in other states and I was concerned more about snow/ice/wet.

Last edited:
Between the 2 I would go with the duratrac

I think its kinda hard to compare the two tires there not really in the same category IMO. You have a Goodyear Duratrac which is a nice pretty quiet well balancing tire vs a TrXus Super Swamper MT that is loud, aggressive and doesn't balance as well. One is awesome for light offroad and street and the other is good on the street and awesome offroad.

If you want an aggressive tire that is street and off road look into the KM2, Goodyear MTRs or Pro Comp XM/T you will get the nice ride and a longer lasting tire while fully capable of going off road.

I have a fair bit of wheeling time on my duratracs. I bought these a good while back when I could find out almost no info on them. There were on for a screaming deal so I pulled the trigger. These are the perfect tire for mostly pavement rig that sees some good wheeling time. They do well enough in mud, and I have found them fantastic on rock and trails. I won't go back to a full blown M/T while I still DD the XJ. I have had dunlop mud rovers and Toyo Open Country M/T's. The duratracs feel just as good offroad without all the drawbacks on pavement.
firetowertrip302.jpg

dsc01442v.jpg

I run the truxus mts and I have been really impressed they aren't overly loud and mine are about 50% worn and have very little vibration while driving.

id go duratecs. ive heard of balancing issues and wear issues with the trxxus in the past. true some may say that they dont have those issues with theirs, but it seems they are hit or miss. you get a good set or you get 1/2 a good set. JMHO. i run mtrs on the street and am very impressed with them on and off the road.

I hate my TruXus MT's. I have the 33 X 12.50's and they suck both on road and offroad in my opinion. You will never get them to balance (tried two different shops, and dynabeads), so the ride onroad sucks. They chunk way too easily on rocks, and they dont clear out in the mud.

I cant wait until they wear out, which not surprisingly is happening quickly.

I am going to replace them with the Cooper STT's. They were the BEST TIRES I have ever had for all around.

I have no opinion on the duratecs, since I have never owned a set, and perhaps you should take the other opinions with a grain of salt since many are only repeating what they have heard.

~James

Thanks guys, I think you guys are dead on the dura tracs look to street and not enough off road I am thinkin truxus or bfg km2.I used to have bfg mud terrains on my TJ they wore very well. I assume they upped sidewall strength in the redesign. Later
I will also check out the coopers

I don't think the sidewalls are THAT much stronger if at all. I have some small surface tears in my sidewalls just from climbing over a 1 to 1.5 foot concrete porch at just better than a parallel angle. Granted they were almost fully inflated and on an 8000lb truck, but Not sure how they would hold up to heavy rock use. I have never played in the rocks, so I am not sure how they would stack up.
-Aaron

i sold my TrXus MT's so i could buy MT/R w/Kevlar. The TrXus were a Beeyotch to balance, highway was sh!t, but they rocked in snow. My MT/R's balanced like a tight rope walker 35" flavour. I just could not get the shimmy outta the steering cause the outta balancing, otherwise good tire. The new MT/R's are unreal, and the Duratracs are going on my 97. -B

X2 on the new MTR. So far I've only aired them down once but they really seem to be a perfect compromise for a DD/wheelin rig in the Northwest.

I have 33" Duratracs on my 91, so far so good, had ProComp MT's on before, no comparo... way better road manners, good in mud, great in rock/sand/gravel. The only downside so far would be in thick gooey clay/mud that I try and avoid anyways.

Ive had my DuraTracs for about 8,000mi now and still love them. Everything about them are right on for my DD. The rim guard helps keep the Limited rims from damage, they ride great on road, and havent got stuck on the local trails to fishing spots/river trips. <---which seem to NEVER dry out. Also can do a lot of stuff in 2wd that used to take 4wd

This is good info. Helps me a little in my quest for new tires also. I currently run maxxis bighorns in 31x10.50x15. These have lasted longer than expected about 15k so far and I got them used at about 75% and they are at about 35% now. Not sure I like them on rocks as they seem to get torn and chunk pretty easy. They do ok in mud and awesome in the snow. I am going to check on the duratrac's for my next set. I expect the interco's to wear quick, kinda like swampers.

I really like mine(265/75/16's),had them out over labor day weekend!
P1040483.jpg

P1040486.jpg

Back