• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing axle u-joints

1990JEEPXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
mine are in need of replacing so i picked up some neapco brand replacements. are these a decent brand to use? they were recommended by my local driveline shop. and they are the spicer 5-760x equivalents with regards to part #'s. stick with them or go with spicer?

i personally wont use anything BUT spicer. unless i somehow come up with the money for CTM.. haha..

if it were me, i would keep tho neapco for spares..

no, does it matter? my opinion is superior to anybody elses anyway..

lol just kidding.

I used one once in the front drive shaft on my 71. Didn't seem to be the greatest quality, but it lasted for several years and a couple of winters with the truck mostly in 4WD. Still good actually, I just replaced the shaft and all joints (with Spicers) when I swapped in a 60.

I've read a lot about them, some people break them like crazy, some people can't kill them. All depends on how you drive I guess. I would say they would be fine for a stock rig that isn't abused.

well i do wheel in the rocks, but my axles are open and i dont run huge tires or low gearing. i am easy on the skinny pedal in the rocks because it is my DD. from a drivetrain standpoint, mine is all stock.

It does not sound like they should cause any problem. Spicer just has the bigger reputation from high usage. If you are doubting yourself, do what is mentioned above and use them as spares, putting spicers in as mains. If your front end is stock with no hubs, they do see a lot of spinning, but I doubt they will break any easier than the spicers would. I ran some for a little while in a locked D44 without issue.

I've used just about every brand of u-joint with good results in many different vehicles. I tend to believe Spicer is the highest of quality for stock replacements, but when I need a joint, I rarely have time to wait (that doesn't sound right)

I've currently got Neapco in my front shafts (it was supposed to be a quick "fix and sell" project) and they have been trouble free for two and a half years.

I still believe that if you install u-joints with a hammer, you're probably not gonna have much luck with them long-term. Now everyone can jump in and tell me about the ones they put in with a rock on the trail twenty years ago that still work, but anyone can get lucky every now-and-then.

well i dont do the hammer method. i have a hydraulic press i will use for them. so im just going to go ahead with the ones i purchased. thanks guys.

i use a bench vice to do U joints. never had a problem

Although, one thing has been mentioned, sometimes Spicer can be a little more difficolt to sorce unless you shop online. I am lucky and have a Six-states dist. warehouse about 3 miles away. neapco are what.. $12 a peice? six states sells the spicers for $11

Back