• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering shaft rubbing

edboyce1971

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed a stickyor rough spot in my steering. Ithought at first I had a bad steering gear but noticed a shiny spot on the steering shaft. It is rubbing on the throttle on the little tab underneath. What could be causing this to happen? My first guess is a loose shaft.

any help would be appreciated.

Bad motor mounts?

I thought about that ...is there a way to look at the mount and tell if its bad? or would I need to remove it to test for play?

I thought about that ...is there a way to look at the mount and tell if its bad? or would I need to remove it to test for play?

Usually the mounts will start losing the rubber on top of the bushing and they will make a loud "clunk" noise when you start or stop the engine. If you can fit your finger in between the bushing and the top inside of the mount...it's bad.

Also, you can use a large pry bar and try to move the engine while observing the mounts--works best on a lift.

I am going to get in there tonight and see what I can come up with...I will let you know what I come up with.

Thanks for your input fellas.

update...I took off the air box and fount that the mount "looked bad" and was sagging. When I went to take it off I found that it was only being held on with one bolt. One bolt had sheared off and the other was MIA. I jacked up the motor, replaced with three new grade 9 bolts and everything works well. It was tought getting an extractor in that tight spot but all is good now. Good call on that one Joe!

thanks for everyone's input!:clap:

Glad you got fixed. What was the condition of the bushings in the mounts? Time to consider some replacements--I went with the Brown Dog natural rubber, and they work great.

Ordered direct from Brown Dog, they are NAXJA sponsors and their ad rotates at the top of the page.

Their website is browndogindustries.com

Back