• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Issues

Dozer11B

NAXJA Forum User
So my power door locks were gummed up and sticking, my wife was complaining about trying to get into the passenger front, and driver's side rear doors, so I popped the interior panel off and gave the mechanisms a good blast of WD-40. Then I ran the door locks back and forth a bunch and they worked great.

Maybe an hour later, they stopped working, then I noticed my pioneer deck wouldn't come on, and tonight I noticed my dome lights didn't work either.

I thought maybe I was a little overzealous with the WD-40 and messed up the lock electrics, but how would that affect my dome lights and stereo?? A buddy told me to double check the fuse behind the stereo. But then what does that have to do with my door locks and dome lights?? I don't know anything about electrics yet, so can someone point me in the right direction to start checking this out?

TIA guys.

Are you talking about the fuse panel under the dash? I checked the power door lock fuse. 20 amp fuse in slot 13. It's still good. I'll check the other ones tomorrow. I checked the power door lock fuse as soon as it went out.

WD-40 doesn't conduct electricity, it shouldn't have done that... I agree with the fuse checking, use a multimeter because those silly little LED fuse testers are good at being wrong. Just reseating your relays and fuses may make the issue go away entirely.

I reset the relays for power locks (both of them) and radio illumination under the dash, still nothing. I'll try and see if the relays are bad, then go from there.

Hey Big A, I didn't move in today due to some late paperwork issues, but we'll probably move in either tomorrow or Thursday. We could get together this weekend probably.

Alright guys, went through the manual, found three relays: power lock-LOCK, Power lock- UNLOCK, and Radio Illum. Does Radio Illum mean a dash light for the radio, or radio and illumination as in the dome lights?

Well I tested them and they are good, get power and audible click. So I'm gonna start at the doors, and work my wayaround totry and find the issue with the multimeter. Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Nope, if the fuses are good, and the relays have power the next step is to see if the items in question have power actually making it to them. If yes, it is the item, if no it is a wiring issue that you can trace out.

Back