• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's involved in upgrading my instrument cluster?

98GhostXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. Just signed up to the forum! I've gone on a few runs with my buddy Ed (hiimmred) over here in the Sierra Nevada area, and that's where I picked up the bug. I recently bought a '98 Cherokee SE and have begun to collect the parts I need to spend the winter working on it. I want to be ready to go on the Deer Valley run next June. Anyway, I am really happy with the 98 I got EXCEPT, it has an instrument cluster that only has a speedo and a fuel gauge, otherwise it's just idiot lights. I HATE IT. How much of a hassle is it to replace with a cluster that has gauges? Has anyone done this and if so, what would I need to do it right. I don't really want to put aftermarket gauges in because I really can't see a good place to put them, the dash really doesn't have a good place to hang them from that I can see. Any suggestions are welcome if I end up having to go with aftermarket gauges, but I would rather have them in the cluster since that is where I am used to looking.

Thanks for any help

With the 97+ (maybe 96 also, since its OBDII) I believe the oil sender is the same, so it should just be plug n pray.

On earlier XJs you had to change from the idiot light "senders" (more of an on/off switch) to the variable resistor sensors for oil and temperature gauges.

Simple to look up, go to rockauto.com and see if your 98 has different senders for the idiot light and gauges, then just buy the correct senders.

A 98 does not require new senders. It is plug-n-play.

I might be way off track here - but make sure the mileage displayed is the same before and after, else, you may end up accidentally breaking the law. I know my '96 has the old style mechanical counter in it, I'm pretty sure they changed to a vacuum fluorescent display at some point however.

I might be way off track here - but make sure the mileage displayed is the same before and after, else, you may end up accidentally breaking the law. I know my '96 has the old style mechanical counter in it, I'm pretty sure they changed to a vacuum fluorescent display at some point however.

Atleast in Ohio, the law is that you are allowed to "repair" the odomoter, and as long as you declare it to the new owner if you sell it. Then you have no issues.

For me, I declared it to the BMV when I titled my XJ. Now my title says in bold letters under the milage "Odometer Discrepancy". I'm completely legal and legit because I'm not hiding the fact that the odometer isn't accurate if I sell it.

as far as milage and such, here in cali there is a place on the title that says something to the effect of "odo reading is not correct" with a little check box by it.

The dealer should be able to correct the mileage on the gauge cluster.

For about $300, which is not worth it for me. MJR works at a Jeep dealership and he said they would have to send the cluster back east to get it reset. They can't do it right there on the spot.

Thanks for all the feedback, and I'm glad that it looks like the most trouble I'll have is going to be finding a cluster to put in.

I think I'm gonna like it here.

its really easy. im waiting for my new cluster to arrive in the mail. its all pretty straight forward. remove the panel right under the steering wheel, remove the metal panel below that, remove the bezel around the cd player and heater gauges, and then you should be able to pull the old cluster out and pop the new one in. Be SURE to get a cluster from a 98 or newer because if you get a 97 you will get some funky light flashing action. also to remove the headlight nob their should be a small blue button down by the right side under the dash, press it and the knob will slide right off! and the best part is that its mainly all done with a Phillips head screwdriver!!!!! check ebay for clusters they go for 30-90 bucks. A cluster out of a YJ will work as well

Back