• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 XJ with a stutter.

cellman71

NAXJA Forum User
My 87 Cherokee with the 4.0 has a stutter. Everything is fine until you get to cruising speed; at cruising speed the XJ drops a lot of power far a second or two, I get on the gas and it comes back to life. I have checked the TPS and it is fine, .8 VDC to 5VDC nice and smooth all the way through full throttle. Any other ideas?

I just bought the XJ last week it had a recent tune up and brand new injectors. I think they were trying to figure out this problem and gave up. Along with the stutter it also has a rough idle, I still suspect the TPS but don't want to come off the $60-80.

my only thoughts of the stutter at higher rpms could be injectors. or possibly fuel filter

thus why it cleans out with more accelleration.

rule of thumb when buying used ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take it to your mechanic to have it inspected first, 80 dollars is often well spent one way or the other, if you spend 80 dollars on labor and find out its got bad compression etc etc etc and its going to cost you a small fortune to fix then you just saved more money then 80 dollars by having it inspected...

Rough idle could be malfunctioning IACV or dirty throttle body.

It wouldn't cause your cruising problem, though.

HMMMMM interesting I seem to be having a very similar problem. Mine is a 96 4.0 ho auto. My Check engine light is on though and I got the codes read that it was throwing and it came up with cylinders 123456 misfiring, I said thats weird as hell can you clear them and see what happens, NOPE we are no longer alowed to clear codes (WTF). So I started out with plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.... No luck, on to ignition coil.... No luck, found a vacuum line disconnected plugged back in.... No luck, got a fuel filter from autozone gave me the wrong one gotta return and try that also gunna dump a bunch of Lucas fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. (UNCC99xj) Tim is coming by gunna hook it up to his code reader and see what we get!

HMMMMM interesting I seem to be having a very similar problem. Mine is a 96 4.0 ho auto. My Check engine light is on though and I got the codes read that it was throwing and it came up with cylinders 123456 misfiring, I said thats weird as hell can you clear them and see what happens, NOPE we are no longer alowed to clear codes (WTF). So I started out with plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.... No luck, on to ignition coil.... No luck, found a vacuum line disconnected plugged back in.... No luck, got a fuel filter from autozone gave me the wrong one gotta return and try that also gunna dump a bunch of Lucas fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. (UNCC99xj) Tim is coming by gunna hook it up to his code reader and see what we get!

try crank position sensor...does it seem to miss at all?

mine would miss/loose power for a split second while driving...but then it got worse and worse to where it would just shut itself off.

Changed out TPS today. First ride showed no change, second drive was a little better, third ride never skipped a beat. I will see what tomorrow brings, I have my fingers crossed.

It is not the TPS!! The drive home was great, then this morning it started up again. I am think about hitting Pull-a-Part at lunch, grabbing a couple of sensors, MAP, CTS, MAT. I will start shotgunning sensors.

Could it be a bad gas cap? I noticed that when I went to fill up today there was no "hiss" when I cracked it. And it is really running like crap after the fill ups.

Problem in this case was a bad TPS. Got zero reading from it..probably got cooked in the mud bath from a couple of weeks ago. OBDII can be a nice thing when you have the proper equipment to talk to it :)

As for the OP's issue, bad gas cap won't cause a rough idle/skip (that i'm aware of atleast). I would look at a fuel filter and/or possibly pump if replacing sensors doesn't help to isolate the problem.

All new plugs, cap, rotor, tps, injectors, MAP checks good, I haven't made it to all sensors yet. I will try the fuel filter this weekend. ODBII would be a nice thing to have.

Back