• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 no start

Bill C

NAXJA Forum User
Hello new guy here. Did a search on a no start condition on my 01 XJ. I have checked the cam postion drive and all of the fuses. The motor will turn over and attempts to start. How do you check the crank postion sensor and the cam postion sensor? I changed plugs about 2000 mile ago a it a big improvment. Also there are no codes when I scan the computer. Thanks in advance for any ideas.:helpme:

Well no help, but I may have found the problem. The battery was getting weak so I had it load tested and it failed. Replaced it with a new one a got the jeep to start. Hard starting the first time, but after that just fine. Will try driving to work tommorrow. Don't know if I posted wrong or asked the wrong question but I thought at least one person might have chimed in. Oh well, will let everbody know how this works out.:cheers:

Hi, welcome to NAXJA.

Don't get disappointed, sometimes people are just off doing other things, or they might not feel they have something to contribute.

This time of year a lot of people are on vacation or doing things with their kids before school raises its ugly head.

You did learn an important lesson--the battery is the heart of any vehicle, and once it gets weak there may be sufficient amps to crank a starter but not enough voltage to run the electronics.

You might also notice your XJ runs rough or poorly for a couple of days as the ECM relearns the fuel mixture settings for your rig. When I swapped out my dead battery I had a rough idle for 2 days before it settled down nicely. That could explain your hard start upon replacement. Make sure your connections are good, clean and tight as this will cause big headaches with an XJ.

Thanks for the answers. Ran well today and it does seem to be getting better as I get more time on it. I kind of expected it to smooth out as the ecm relearned. Seems all is well. :cool:

Well no help, but I may have found the problem. The battery was getting weak so I had it load tested and it failed. Replaced it with a new one a got the jeep to start. Hard starting the first time, but after that just fine. Will try driving to work tommorrow. Don't know if I posted wrong or asked the wrong question but I thought at least one person might have chimed in. Oh well, will let everbody know how this works out.:cheers:

Thanks for letting us know what the issue was. I am surprised that it would crank well and not start, even though this has been reported before. I've had many times (before I replaced my battery) that it would barely crank but still started and ran good once it got fired up.

Another point (although this was not my reason, I was not on board for a couple of days) is that people expect you to search for the answers a little. How to check out crank and cam sensors is already extremely well documented repeatedly. Happy Jeepin!
:party:

Back