• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Clutch not fitting

wheelinscott

NAXJA Forum User
So over the weekend I went to replace my fan clutch with a stock replacement one from the local parts store. Well the clutch itself is about a 1/4 inch too big and wont fit. The clutch I was replacing fits just fine. Does anyone know where to get a shorter clutch or should I cut the studs from the water pump? (its not the original I replaced it about 4 years ago) Or is there something else i should try?

I also tried the ZJ one a few months ago and it was the same length as the one i bought over the weekend.

93 country 4.0L auto.....

TIA

Heh..... yup.

There's 2 brands commonly available, Hayes & Imperial, IIRC, and both listed for a 4.0l XJ application. One of them is too long.

Hmm thats dumb.

Well I bought the ZJ one from Advance Auto parts and if I recall right it was an Imperial one. The stock one I got from Auto Zone is "torqflo" brand. So I suppose I can try the stock from Advanced or try and find the Hayes brand. Anyways thanks for your help. If anyone knows where to find the right size one let me know thanks again.

Ok well Hayden is sold at Orielly auto parts so I am going to try that one at let yall know the results.

Flow Kooler lists 4 CCW rotation pumps for the 4.0/242:

listed for 87-90:

#1746 fan hub height 3 3/4", hub diameter 2 5/8"
#1747 fan hub height 2 5/16", hub diameter 3 5/16"

listed for 91-99:

#1748 fan hub height 3 1/4", hub diameter 2 5/8"

listed for 00-06

#1750 fan hub height 3 3/4", hub diameter 2 5/8"

Here is the link to the info: http://flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/catalog2/index.php?cPath=1_23_113

It is possible you were given the wrong pump 4 years ago?

Back