• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lock refitting

kastein

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Alright, this is actually more of a swap/trade... here's how it works. I've been learning how to re-pin locks so I could get all my doors and such working on one key (they weren't when I got the thing), so I've got a decent collection of spare parts for them now and know how to make a lock cylinder work with any given precut key. The deal is, you ship me your lock cylinder (JUST the cylinder, not the whole mechanism! getting the darn thing out of the mechanism is your problem! :laugh3:) and the key you want to make it work with, along with enough money to cover return shipping (figure $2-5 for anywhere in the US), I will repin the cylinder and mail it (and your key) back. This will continue until I run out of spare parts or time.

Currently I only do double-sided (key goes in either way) glovebox locks so it's a fairly useless service atm, but I should be doing rear hatch locks very soon and probably side doors will come after that. I will never be doing ignition as it's way too much trouble.

PM for an address to send to.

EDIT: if you're in the northeast and don't mind driving to Worcester MA, I can probably refit it while you wait.

Update - pre-97 rear hatch locks will never be on the list unfortunately, they're constructed in such a way that they cannot be rekeyed easily, it's simply easier to order a properly keyed one from the dealership. I'll be investigating 97+ rear hatch locks and possibly side door locks after tomorrow afternoon.

So, is a 97+ cylinder for a rear hatch swappable with a pre-97 hatch lock?

Edit: I've been drinking...this may not all make sense for keys and such. No need for reply since my keys are for a 95...
Like I said, I've been drinking.

Haha, drunk posting ftw. No, I doubt they are... they might be for all I know though.

This project kinda went by the wayside due to my life getting a little busy (and me continually forgetting to get door locks at the junkyard :eek:) but I'll see if I can get back on it shortly.

Picked up a set of 96 doors with 97+ mirrors for a friend's 91 MJ so the 96 lock cylinders will probably be in the pile for working on soon. Will be interesting to see if they are easy for a non-pro locksmith like me to work on.

Back