• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Front Shaft 8.25" AW4 4.0L 95 Model Help

sime82

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys

Im looking for a bit of help ive tried searching but have not come up with an exact answer.

I want to use a front shaft as a rear shaft.

Currently I have...

-XJ 1995
-NP242
-AW4
-4.0L
-8.25"
-Re 5.5" Short Arm

I am going to user the Iron Rock Off Road Yoke and seal flange

What I want to know is will the front shaft be long or short enough to work with the above combination?

Cheers
sime

I am not sure what you are looking to find out since you have looked at the IronRock4x4 Site, however, maybe this will answer your question.

Jeep XJ with a 4.0L and AW4 the Front Driveshaft is about 30 1/2"s Collapsed. Just a hair longer if I remember right.

If you are unsure if what you have may not fit... you can Measure Center of Joint to Center of Joint at Full Drop (Rear End Lifted Up and Tires Hanging at Full Drop). Extend the Front Driveshaft and see if it is longer than needed. If the Extended Front Driveshaft is Longer than needed then all should be fine IMHO.

Here is a Great Thread on doing a J Yard SYE and Front Driveshaft:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=959008&highlight=SYE+yoke

Here is Iron Rock 4x4's SYE and Front Driveshaft Instruction PDF on doing a SYE and a Front Driveshaft.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/hack and Tap Install.pdf

Hope this helps.

Hi Cher96

Thanks for the reply and links. I have already read both of the above links and am still a little unsure if the stock front drive shaft will work with my combination? Unfortunatly I cant measure the distance between the two yokes or joints as the diff is not in the car (new axels, locker and gears are being fitted).

Does anyone have the following specs and are using a stock front drive shaft as a rear shaft?

-XJ 1995
-NP242
-AW4
-4.0L
-8.25"
-Re 5.5" Short Arm

cheers
sime

Last edited:
For awhile I used the front shaft w/4.5" of lift with the same combination.I was NOT happy with the amount of spline engagement.And was concerned that I could pull the shaft apart during articulation .I had a new shaft built. You only have to re-tube the shaft.

Wayne

I have the re 5.5 with a 231 and Aw4. I used a Re hack n tap sye and have used a stock front shaft with no problems for a while now.

with my XJ with 4.0, aw4,231 and D35 with 6.5" LA lift from IRO. i couldnt use the front driveshaft, was about .5" short of getting in both yokes (crown sye) i lengthened the driveshaft myself aka homebrew by 2", that worked out ok

with my XJ with 4.0, aw4,231 and D35 with 6.5" LA lift from IRO. i couldnt use the front driveshaft, was about .5" short of getting in both yokes (crown sye) i lengthened the driveshaft myself aka homebrew by 2", that worked out ok

In my searching I did find out that apparently a ZJ V8 front drive shaft is longer, approx 33" long which would be perfect for using with a D35

Back