• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-Code Headlight Aiming

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
So I have had my E codes for a while, but I have never been able to aim them both exactly how I need them. I just installed the headlight harness and some new bulbs..but for the life of me I cannot get an even cutoff line. I have tried to use the daniel lighting technique with no results. I just can't get them aimed right.....

I've covered how I aim mine before, but it's been a while (caveat - I've not been bothered by CHP for lights, nor do I get flashed by oncoming traffic. I figure I'm doing something right...)

Pick a spot that's going to be level for about fifty feet, and have a wall at the end. You're going to park with your headlamps about thirty feet from the wall, and you need to be able to mark the wall somehow (masking tape is usually convenient for this) without any trouble.

Measure from the ground line to the vertical centre of the headlamp, and transfer that measurement to the wall (crosswise strip of tape.) Measure the distance between the horizontal centres of the headlamps, and transfer that measurement to the wall (two vertical strips of tape) so that they're directly in front of the headlamp housings.

Aim the driver's side headlamp so that the horizontal cutoff of the beam is just below the horizontal centreline (on dip - low - beam) and the main body of the beam is just to the right of the vertical centreline (dip beam again.)

Aim the passenger side headlamp so that the horizontal cutoff is on the horizontal centreline, and the main body of the beam is on the vertical centreline.

When you switch to full (high) beam, you should note that your driver's side beam will be somewhat higher - but still aimed just a touch to the right - while the passenger side should be just about straight ahead.

I know that most people will tell you they should be aimed dead forward, but I've noted that people with "properly aimed" headlamps give me headaches when driving at night. Aiming the driver's side headlamp slightly downward and inward helps to prevent this - since it's usually caused by oncoming traffic. This keeps the near headlamp out of the eyes of oncoming traffic, and that little extra effort is noticed.

I run E-codes with 90W/130W Super White bulbs, and I haven't had any trouble after aiming them this way. Aiming both "dead forward" has gotten me flashed plenty of times, so I came up with this modified method.

Back